Type 2 Antidepressants

Wgc2017

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

I am on Sertaline 100mg and am wondering if in general antidepressant raise your blood sugar level

Thanks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
use a website like webmd or medscape to find out if there are interactions between meds (or ask a pharmacist). I know that St John;s Wort is strongly advised against for diabetics,

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I am on 100mg sertraline but I was assured they don,t raise my levels. I do also take queapine and that does raise my levels. The sertraline was give fairly recent, about 3 months and my levels are no higher

Reactions: DCUKMod

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Wgc2017, I don't know about that particular antidepressant, but I found that most antidepressants I was put on made me outrageously hungry for carbs, so yes, affected my blood sugars! Just be mindful if you find yourself wanting to eat all the time or obssessed about food!! Thankfully I am no longer on them, but it took many years and much counseling to get me to that point. Blessings/L

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that anti-depressants (I have tried several) raised my blood sugars and blood pressure. That said, I was suicidally depressed a few times, so they saved my life on a number of occasions, and low carbing has brought down my blood sugars and blood pressure again. So the benefits may well outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: ickihun