Antidepressants

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi. Sharrryn. I have never taken antidepressants myself, but have taken anti anxiety meds. I also saw a therapist when I was first diagnosed. I know many people who need, and benefit from, antidepressants. My opinion is that managing T1 is difficult enough; I can't imagine trying to do it under a dark cloud of depression. I would try it, if I were you. Monitor any side affects and keep your doctor posted. Good luck. :headphone:

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors who don't listen or understand how you feel mentally
I'm on antidepressants and anxiety pills as well but not the same as yours I once overdose on my depression pills they made my tummy feel bubbly it's a long story and my anxiety pills makes me sleepy so i tend to talk half or even a smaller amount of it when needed but since I kind of overdosed on my pills I'm given half of them for now and someone is always watching me take them my mom is Christian and said if I did get away with what I did she wouldn't bury me but burn my body not even the pastor will pray for me

Reactions: lalacakez

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Sharryn, I was prescribed Zoloft as my second anti-depressant back in 1997. It had me back at work in under 3 weeks and able to keep well.
On advice of my psychiatrist I stopped it after 12 months with no problem.
I had not notable side-effects.
My other comments are:
1) to be sure that a doctor or pharmacist knows that you are prescribed it (assuming you start them) as there are some potentially serious interactions with a few other medications. Same applies to all that class of medication as far as I know.
2) But my main point is that anti-depressants do not solve problems or depression, they put you into a better state to deal with them. And the therapeutic relationship between you and your doctor or whoever you choose to see is the MOST important factor in recovery and in becoming resilient and able to succeed.
3) having pastimes, hobbies were indispensable to me being able to rebuild my world. In my case it was 'Go fly a kite'.
My Psychiatrist explained to me that because some people's depressive episode may be the only one they ever have, anti-depressants are usually stopped after 6 to 12 months. If there is a relapse over time then 2 years duration on them.
Further relapses may mean life-long use.
I have been prescribed Duloxetine at one time for depression but I gained weight and stopped it.
I have been on permanent anti-depressants since 2010. I am prescribed Desvenflaxamine (brand name - Pristiq).
This has worked consistently for me and does not cause weight gain. (it is a mix of two antidepressants).
I have a strong family history of depression so my experience and need for continued antidepressants is not necessarily typical.
But when I decided to ease the dose back my BSLs went haywire and only settled with return to the prior dose !!
My Best Wishes go with you.
I hope you recover well, whatever course you choose, but again your connection with your counsellor, whether doctor, psychologist, other counsellor, psychiatrist is the key.

Reactions: Prem51 and Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharryn, I was prescribed Zoloft as my second anti-depressant back in 1997. It had me back at work in under 3 weeks and able to keep well.
On advice of my psychiatrist I stopped it after 12 months with no problem.
I had not notable side-effects.
My other comments are:
1) to be sure that a doctor or pharmacist knows that you are prescribed it (assuming you start them) as there are some potentially serious interactions with a few other medications. Same applies to all that class of medication as far as I know.
2) But my main point is that anti-depressants do not solve problems or depression, they put you into a better state to deal with them. And the therapeutic relationship between you and your doctor or whoever you choose to see is the MOST important factor in recovery and in becoming resilient and able to succeed.
3) having pastimes, hobbies were indispensable to me being able to rebuild my world. In my case it was 'Go fly a kite'.
My Psychiatrist explained to me that because some people's depressive episode may be the only one they ever have, anti-depressants are usually stopped after 6 to 12 months. If there is a relapse over time then 2 years duration on them.
Further relapses may mean life-long use.
I have been prescribed Duloxetine at one time for depression but I gained weight and stopped it.
I have been on permanent anti-depressants since 2010. I am prescribed Desvenflaxamine (brand name - Pristiq).
This has worked consistently for me and does not cause weight gain. (it is a mix of two antidepressants).
I have a strong family history of depression so my experience and need for continued antidepressants is not necessarily typical.
But when I decided to ease the dose back my BSLs went haywire and only settled with return to the prior dose !!
My Best Wishes go with you.
I hope you recover well, whatever course you choose, but again your connection with your counsellor, whether doctor, psychologist, other counsellor, psychiatrist is the key.
Thank you. I posted this thread nearly a year ago now. Doing ok these days. Tried a few antidepressants and am now on Mirtazapine. It seems to help. You are correct though they only help put you in a better state to deal with things. They are not a cure. I hope to be on them short term and am seeing psychologist and psychiatrist regularly.

Reactions: Prem51