Antidepressants

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have been prescribed an antidepressant called Zoloft. After 35 years of type 1 and many complications I am suffering severe anxiety/ depression and general burnout. Has anyone had any experience with this drug ? I am a bit nervous about starting it to be honest.
Any experiences would be appreciated.

Sharrryn

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sharryn,

Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time - I’ve been there but only got 10 years into T1 before it all got too much with a range of other things.

Antidepressants have well documented history these days and I’m sure with the guidance on starting/stopping them that you’ve been given you’ll be fine.

I found that Zoloft at the start made me feel a bit numb. Like I wasn’t sad or happy or really much of anything. But that passed in a couple of weeks and the 18 months I took them was beneficial. They took the edge off the low and hopeless thoughts but not in a super noticeable way. Just a bit of background help.

I worked my way off them, by choice, and am doing ok. I was assured that there was no harm in staying on them if I felt I needed to.

I wish you all the best.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks BananaK. I appreciate your reply. Very reassuring.

Hi Sharryn,

Sorry to hear you’re having a tough time - I’ve been there but only got 10 years into T1 before it all got too much with a range of other things.

Antidepressants have well documented history these days and I’m sure with the guidance on starting/stopping them that you’ve been given you’ll be fine.

I found that Zoloft at the start made me feel a bit numb. Like I wasn’t sad or happy or really much of anything. But that passed in a couple of weeks and the 18 months I took them was beneficial. They took the edge off the low and hopeless thoughts but not in a super noticeable way. Just a bit of background help.

I worked my way off them, by choice, and am doing ok. I was assured that there was no harm in staying on them if I felt I needed to.

I wish you all the best.

Reactions: kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sharrryn Sorry I don't have any experience of using this, just wanted to wish you well, it's always good to talk about your feelings and what you're experiencing, many experience the same as you. I found exercise to be my mantra in coping with my t1, it gives me time out from thinking about it as well as helping to release some endorphins and of course keeping fit, so many benefits, I started off walking, then took up running last year and it's safe to say it keeps me sane, but I really do believe those who have to manage a needy condition like this need a coping mechanism, it's finding what suits you best which will help you come through this, take care x

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi
I have been prescribed an antidepressant called Zoloft. After 35 years of type 1 and many complications I am suffering severe anxiety/ depression and general burnout. Has anyone had any experience with this drug ? I am a bit nervous about starting it to be honest.
Any experiences would be appreciated.

Sharrryn

Hello Sharyyn,

Yes I was on Sertraline (Zoloft) for about twelve months but didn't actually find it that beneficial for my GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) I have been on and off Antidepressants for about 15 years and have tried a few.

I am now prescribed Duloxetine which is only one of a few (maybe the only one) which is actually licensed specifically to be prescribed for anxiety disorders. It is also prescribed for pain management of Diabetic Neuropathy so I'm killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Give it a go, It didn't work for me but Antidepressants that work for one person may not necessarily work for another and you may need to try a few until you discover one that suits you and helps.

Reactions: Sharrryn
A

Australia 1

I have had to learn everything the hard way. In my early Teens I would get these “Out of the Blue Panic Attacks”. They we were terrible and all of the Cognitive/Behaviour information went down the drain. The Drug prescribed for you as many other “Depression” drugs are a part of a huge chain of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Drugs starting with Prozac in the 1980,s. These medications took the place of the older Tricyclic Antidepressant medications that go way back to the 1960,s. A highly addictive benzodiazepine Drug called Alpralozam (Xanax) Killed and I mean Killed these Panic Attacks. They were then used for Depression as I had not taken that Drug for 25 years.

This is a depressing answer to you as I am very very angry at the Pharmacutical Industry. Everybody has a pill that will save your life. Big Commissions are paid to Medical Doctors to Script these Meds. Big Pharmaceutical Industrial Machine has taken over the United States Government who controls the Food and Drug administration and I would just Google this Zoloft and study the profile on this and the history of the Drug and how it is supposed to work.

You have nothing to Fear. But I did not want to be Politically Correct about these Drugs. The Germanwings Airline incident and a friend on this very site asked me about these medications and flying and I would Dob out any Pilot taking one of these wonder medications. Wean yourself off of this. Being a Type 1 Diabectic Myself I know what you are going through and then having to wait all of the time to see what the tests show about Lymphoma and Melanoma that has gone into remission. You will get plenty of support he. You really have friends here that care.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sharrryn Sorry I don't have any experience of using this, just wanted to wish you well, it's always good to talk about your feelings and what you're experiencing, many experience the same as you. I found exercise to be my mantra in coping with my t1, it gives me time out from thinking about it as well as helping to release some endorphins and of course keeping fit, so many benefits, I started off walking, then took up running last year and it's safe to say it keeps me sane, but I really do believe those who have to manage a needy condition like this need a coping mechanism, it's finding what suits you best which will help you come through this, take care x
Thank you for your reply

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Sharyyn,

Yes I was on Sertraline (Zoloft) for about twelve months but didn't actually find it that beneficial for my GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) I have been on and off Antidepressants for about 15 years and have tried a few.

I am now prescribed Duloxetine which is only one of a few (maybe the only one) which is actually licensed specifically to be prescribed for anxiety disorders. It is also prescribed for pain management of Diabetic Neuropathy so I'm killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Give it a go, It didn't work for me but Antidepressants that work for one person may not necessarily work for another and you may need to try a few until you discover one that suits you and helps.
Thanks for your reply. I plan to give it a go

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had to learn everything the hard way. In my early Teens I would get these “Out of the Blue Panic Attacks”. They we were terrible and all of the Cognitive/Behaviour information went down the drain. The Drug prescribed for you as many other “Depression” drugs are a part of a huge chain of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors Drugs starting with Prozac in the 1980,s. These medications took the place of the older Tricyclic Antidepressant medications that go way back to the 1960,s. A highly addictive benzodiazepine Drug called Alpralozam (Xanax) Killed and I mean Killed these Panic Attacks. They were then used for Depression as I had not taken that Drug for 25 years.

This is a depressing answer to you as I am very very angry at the Pharmacutical Industry. Everybody has a pill that will save your life. Big Commissions are paid to Medical Doctors to Script these Meds. Big Pharmaceutical Industrial Machine has taken over the United States Government who controls the Food and Drug administration and I would just Google this Zoloft and study the profile on this and the history of the Drug and how it is supposed to work.

You have nothing to Fear. But I did not want to be Politically Correct about these Drugs. The Germanwings Airline incident and a friend on this very site asked me about these medications and flying and I would Dob out any Pilot taking one of these wonder medications. Wean yourself off of this. Being a Type 1 Diabectic Myself I know what you are going through and then having to wait all of the time to see what the tests show about Lymphoma and Melanoma that has gone into remission. You will get plenty of support he. You really have friends here that care.
Thanks Australia 1. This really is a supportive community.

lalacakez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on antidepressants and anxiety pills as well but not the same as yours I once overdose on my depression pills they made my tummy feel bubbly it's a long story and my anxiety pills makes me sleepy so i tend to talk half or even a smaller amount of it when needed but since I kind of overdosed on my pills I'm given half of them for now and someone is always watching me take them my mom is Christian and said if I did get away with what I did she wouldn't bury me but burn my body not even the pastor will pray for me

Reactions: Australia 1
A

Australia 1

I am praying for you young lady, as I find it a shame about this Pastor that will not even pray for you. This is for Lalacakez.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I was struggling mentally after 30 plus years of type 1 and my doctor prescribed sertraline which I took for about 2 years.......

They helped but I struggled to come off them.
But I did.

I couldn't cope at the time and the pills made the difference but now I struggle but manage without the pills because I have learnt how to do so.

You see the problem and I sympathise I really do.

Whatever path you take please don't suffer alone and don't feel guilty about it.
Nobody told me it was ok to laugh if you suffer from depression which may sound a bit odd but I had immense difficulty with this at the time.

All the very best

Tony

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't take the same antidepressants as you, I take citalopram 20mg daily. As far as I know, they don't do anything to my blood sugars although occasionally I get headaches from them and they definitely make me more tired in general! Most people don't really get side effects from antidepressants, you might get some in the first few weeks but they usually subside as your body gets used to them

A

Australia 1

I was struggling mentally after 30 plus years of type 1 and my doctor prescribed sertraline which I took for about 2 years.......

But I did.

I couldn't cope at the time and the pills made the difference but now I struggle but manage without the pills because I have learnt how to do so.

Whatever path you take please don't suffer alone and don't feel guilty about it.
Nobody told me it was ok to laugh if you suffer from depression which may sound a bit odd but I had immense difficulty with this at the time.

All the very best

Tony

Tony, I really liked your answer. These Antidepressants talks never win. You said that it did help. As Tipetoo might say “Please Explain”. He knows what I am talking about. Your last paragraph was so true and you were so Honest. I have a new friend in NSW and we are in the same field a Him and I could have built Bin Ladens compound. I know He awaits our meeting today.
Good on you Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Tony, I really liked your answer. These Antidepressants talks never win. You said that it did help. As Tipetoo might say “Please Explain”. He knows what I am talking about. Your last paragraph was so true and you were so Honest. I have a new friend in NSW and we are in the same field a Him and I could have built Bin Ladens compound. I know He awaits our meeting today.
Good on you Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"please explain " say you...................

When I was having a bad time mentally and something happened in life I would look at it darkly, I would react darkly, I would let it get to me, I would run through a hundred potential scenarios in my head and I couldn't stop......
Enter the anti depressants...........
They created a little fluffy cloud that was around my head or more specifically my thought processes.......
I stopped looking at things darkly, I stopped reacting darkly and my anxiety subsided.
I think I stopped thinking as much if that makes any sense.

As I said in my OP I am off them now but I could not have managed at the time................

I hope I have made sense.

Tony

Reactions: Prem51
A

Australia 1

Please Explain was a Statement made by a Parliamentary Senator in Australia or the meaning of a certain word she used on Public news and the whole nation of Australia made fun of Her. I said that to Tipetoo as He is an Australian and He knows the whole story. It was Australian Humour and I should have never invoked that comment as it had nothing to do with our talk on Depression. I am sorry to you personally Tony. And Sir you make Total sense. No Worries as the account is being deleted today.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on antidepressants and anxiety pills as well but not the same as yours I once overdose on my depression pills they made my tummy feel bubbly it's a long story and my anxiety pills makes me sleepy so i tend to talk half or even a smaller amount of it when needed but since I kind of overdosed on my pills I'm given half of them for now and someone is always watching me take them my mom is Christian and said if I did get away with what I did she wouldn't bury me but burn my body not even the pastor will pray for me
Thanks lalacakez. I wish you all the best. Depression and anxiety is tough.

Reactions: lalacakez

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

But I did.

All the very best

Tony
Thanks Tony. I appreciate your reply and support. I know I will get through this rough patch.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't take the same antidepressants as you, I take citalopram 20mg daily. As far as I know, they don't do anything to my blood sugars although occasionally I get headaches from them and they definitely make me more tired in general! Most people don't really get side effects from antidepressants, you might get some in the first few weeks but they usually subside as your body gets used to them
Thanks Nicola. I'm hoping my side effects will be mild if any . I will be trying meditation and counselling also.