Antidepressants

Doireallyneedanams

Anxiety has peaked and I am considering medication.

I’m not diabetic but have a very strong family history of type 2 so I want to avoid any medication that will increase my risk! I’ve read that some SSRI’s are terrible for glucose, namely the most prescribed, Sertraline.

I’ve had a quick look online but I’m curious if anyone has any experience with this?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently on sertraline 100mg I’ve been on it for 3 years but in smaller doses. I was on Prozac 20mg/ 40mg and then up to 60mg from around 16 years old. Personally yes they are sore on the liver and I believe one of the reasons I’m going to be likely diagnosed a diabetic shortly as there is no diabetes in my immediate family. They caused weight gain with me. However if you need antidepressants take them.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am on sertraline for about nine months now.
And I have no side effects. I tried a couple other antidepressants but they did have side effects. I am now trying to persuade my GP to start lowering the dose as I am more positive now. Day by day, baby steps, think positive, talking to someone like your GP, is a big step, it doesn't matter who as long as they understand what your anxiety is doing to you.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Carptastic

Doireallyneedanams

Thanks! I’m going to speak to the GP and see what they can recommend.

I did try sertraline once before.. but one single pill gave me nausea, lock jaw & anxiety so i didn’t take another!

Reactions: Lamont D

RhianSamuel

I have been on Sertraline for a few years now and they don't seem to have any negative impact on my glucose levels. I was told that symptoms could get worse initially but would pass when your body gets used to them. I personally was very lucky and didn't get any side effects and my anxiety was so much better after just 24 hours but obviously everyone is different x

Carptastic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles :)
i started on a low dose of sertraline was upto 200mg when i came off them from 2018 2020 they didnt really help im now on a combo of fluxotine and amitriptolene that seems to be helping.