Anxiety From Changes To Blood Sugar Levels

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know T1D is, by its very nature, at times unpredictable. But does anyone else panic when they start seeing higher or lower than usual numbers over a few days and then start thinking they have something else wrong with them?

It's definitely health anxiety / hypochondria for me, but every time I have a few days of higher or lower numbers I'm immediately thinking I've got a cold, flu, infection or some other horrible disease like cancer. And I'm sure the anxiety of thinking I am ill does actually sometimes make me ill!

Right now I'm constantly fighting low blood sugars and didn't even need insulin for lunch yesterday. The dinner I had last night would usually be 6-8 units of NovoRapid and I needed 2 units. No idea what is going on. Have reduced my Tresiba does from 13 units to 10 units but I find it takes at least 3-4 days before I see any difference.

K

Knikki

Hi!

No don't get anxiety I'm afraid if I go too high or too low it is more a case of "******.........how did that happen?" and deal with it at the time.

Being ill, colds stomach upset, etc will generally throw things a curved ball, but after having it for so long it is all part and parcel of this wonderful thing we share. :)

If your in the UK then the current heat wave is playing havoc with most peoples controls so your not alone.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know T1D is, by its very nature, at times unpredictable. But does anyone else panic when they start seeing higher or lower than usual numbers over a few days and then start thinking they have something else wrong with them?

It's definitely health anxiety / hypochondria for me, but every time I have a few days of higher or lower numbers I'm immediately thinking I've got a cold, flu, infection or some other horrible disease like cancer. And I'm sure the anxiety of thinking I am ill does actually sometimes make me ill!

Right now I'm constantly fighting low blood sugars and didn't even need insulin for lunch yesterday. The dinner I had last night would usually be 6-8 units of NovoRapid and I needed 2 units. No idea what is going on. Have reduced my Tresiba does from 13 units to 10 units but I find it takes at least 3-4 days before I see any difference.
I totally understand anxiety over blood glucose! Mine is more about the numbers than worrying something else is wrong.

I think I read a lot (kind of mistakenly) when I was first diagnosed about a lot of people's experiences and glucose levels which were actually type 2s trying to follow really strict diets. I remember one particular thread someone asking about oats and how come they spiked them up to 12 or 13... and the replies were all that they would NEVER eat anything that spiked them that high, how damaging it is, etc etc. Plus their seemingly (compared to mine) pre + post meal readings, like 5.5 to 6.5 while mine vary so wildly. So when I see my post meal spikes (which I am working on) I just get this panic... the DSN keeps trying to tell me not to worry but it's hard. It's not like we can just quit thinking about it altogether is it!

Have you been any more active lately? I went away for 2 weeks in this weather and was much more active, just walking no extreme sports or anything and my insulin requirements dropped like a stone, I couldn't believe how little I needed all of a sudden! I also second the other poster who said it may just be the heat if you are in the UK at the minute!

Reactions: EllieM

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the unfortunate answer from me at least OP, is welcome to the Type 1 club.

Even after 37 years of trying to get it right, I still cant. I can eat the same foods at same times, do the same activities (little to nothing). some days it high some low some perfect.

I know its easy to say but just try and get negative thoughts out of your head. Just keep testing regularly, watch out for any patterns and simply make the most of your life, basically try not to worry

Reactions: KPD