Anxiety T2

Perminder1

As you have a meter you must check before and after eating, before first mouthful and 2 hours after. Look at the spike, if any, that the meal had given you. More than a rise of 2 means the food you are eating are spiking your blood sugar. Ultimately, this is the only way to control the roller coaster of blood sugar rise and fall which is part of why you may have felt so awful before diagnosis. Any carbs, whatever colour is going to cause a spike and I know if I've eaten carbs now from the horrible hangover feeling I get if I eat too many.

It's only advice, but I'd do a little more digging into the benefits of low carb high(er) fat eating. I surprised the diabetic nurse so much by my hba1c 6 months after diagnosis she had to ring me up to congratulate me. I also lost 2 stone in that time and its staying off.

This is a great place for advice and asking questions.
Hi welldone I.lost 2 .5 stone with change of dies and exercise in 1 month of being diagnosed next hbac1 in July some time fingers crossed

Reactions: Larry1985

Perminder1

Hi BlueJay, I was diagnosed T2 about a year ago and it was only 2months ago that I started to come to terms and get to grips with things. I joined this forum and started finding out so much about the condition. This gave me the knowledge about the Nutrition/diet needed and what Carbs are actually doing to me! It also filled me with lot's of hope and I started to feel more positive about things. Loads of really great success stories on here.

As wisely mentioned above- KNOWLEDGE IS POWER - the more you find out about the condition the more interesting it becomes. Trialing new foods and baking items to see what impacts the BG becomes a sort of game. Record the results and you'll soon find a good menu of items to choose from. I got myself a Freestyle Libre sensor that has really changed things for me. Seeing the results through the day becomes a challenge to keep improving things through diet and meds if needed.

The best Positive I have found recently is now I'm eating healthy wholefoods, I no longer crave the cookies, cakes and puddings to name a few. You start craving the healthy stuff and feel better for it, then why stop there? Next I'm going to focus on some more exercise- the small walk after dinner helps reduce the spike of BG but looking forward to the golf opening back up.
Fantastic welldone keep it up....yes do that walk great for body and mind

Buzzer81

Hello another newbie if metformin 3 x a day dm does not bring down bs levels I am bit confused when I was diagnosed march 20 had hbac1 96 ...I have changed my diet drastically and walk every day 1hr my fasting bs since April 20 are 4.5 to max 5.5 and evening max 6 2hrs after eating so are this relatively low bs levels due to changes I have made diet and exercise just want to know i am on right track thanks

They seem low levels. Lower than I have achieved. I had numbers of 91 at hba1c in late feb this year. I have lost a good two stone in weight and made drastic diet changes..... my bs levels range now from 5-8 with the odd 10+ score if I’ve made a mistake! Got another test in the next fortnight and I’m both excited and dreading it! I hope I have made some progress and the number comes down considerably. I need to do more exercising though, I’ve become very lazy!

Perminder1

They seem low levels. Lower than I have achieved. I had numbers of 91 at hba1c in late feb this year. I have lost a good two stone in weight and made drastic diet changes..... my bs levels range now from 5-8 with the odd 10+ score if I’ve made a mistake! Got another test in the next fortnight and I’m both excited and dreading it! I hope I have made some progress and the number comes down considerably. I need to do more exercising though, I’ve become very lazy!
Keep up the good work and exercise just a walk really helps good for body and mind

Reactions: Buzzer81

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to you both . I know how you feel and I also have a health anxiety but i actually decided to turn this thing around and concentrate on losing weight and getting healthy . You can do it , and don't worry about the possible conditions linked to type 2 because if you get your blood sugars and everything else under control then you are on the road to a healthier life . You will feel better and it will help ease your anxiety .
My doctor told me that now my sugar is down and my cholesterol and blood pressure oh and weight then I am at no more risk of health conditons than someone who doesn't have type 2 .
It's a wake up call and it kicks you into good health .
Lots of love to you both , I hope this has encouraged you .
BY the way when i wad diagnosed with type 2 back in 2017 i was four stone over weight , I feel so good now even though i do get anxiety attacks sometimes , but things are really good .
Stay positive and post back if you need encouragement even if it just reassures you both .

Reactions: Perminder1

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi very positive motivational message if you don't mind me asking what was you hbac1 when you were first diagnosed ?
My Hba1c was 91 at diagnosis.
I went low carb from that moment, and was no longer diabetic in 80 days.

Larry1985

Hey, I'm new here and feel a bit nervous about posting

I'm 22 and I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in November of last year and take Metformin SR to manage it. I am overweight but actively trying to lose weight. My blood sugars and blood pressure have been high but it is slowly coming down and I am working out what works for me best.

However I have had awful health anxiety even before the diagnosis and I've just been feeling an ever-growing sense of impending doom. I think I feel a lot of guilt and worry that I've maybe damaged myself beyond repair, my mind is in overdrive most of the time lol.

I was wondering if anyone has ever felt the same way with their diabetes and if so, what do you do to help manage those feelings? Any advice is welcome. :)

Also, I'm sorry for the long post.
Hey buddy, im 35 and was diagnosed 28th April. I too had bad anxiety and was crying quite often, Google became my gp and I was sure I had something else wrong with me too, this ranged from brain inflammation to M.E. The doctor prescribed me citalopram an anti depression pill, but I never took it, instead I stopped eating any more them 100g of cards a day, which I'm looking to reduce further, and brought a mountain bike and started exercising. There is an app called DARE which also MASSIVELY helped me out. I highly recommend listening to that app, very highly!!

Im 5ft 8 and was 18st 8 and am now 16st 7 and wanting to go more too. HBA1C was 9.9% on blood check day, in July im hoping it will be reduced enough so that I can go into remission and control it without metformin.

Do not give up, do not think your life is over and do not let it be something that becomes a negative. You now have a reason to get out more and get healthy, not a bad thing

Good luck brother