Type 2 Any advice on taking insulin with you on holiday

Pauline61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Any advice on taking insulin on holiday , i have tried to book hotels and always ask if theres a small fridge in the room for my Insulin and always get the answer No , how do others manage when on holiday ?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long would you be away from home? Insulin needs to be refrigerated UNTIL it is put into use. After that, there's no value (or none that I'm aware of) to putting insulin back in the fridge to extend its life beyond the 30-40 days (manufacturer recommended number).

If you'll be gone for longer than a month then you may need to look into other options.

phoenixlyn

I use Frio wallets too! When away in hot countries, I do keep insulin in the wallets all the time. I have two, one for everyday use and one for unopened insulin pens. Recommend them

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As another post says, you only need a fridge to store unused insulin cartridges or pens. Those in use in can be kept at room temperature as defined in the leaflet. If going on holiday for more than few weeks then you do need to find a hotel with a fridge or a suitable wallet

A

asparagusp

Various stores stock them, namely Nomad Travel. - http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/b/24/FRIO Frio did list stockists on their website. Here is another link - https://www.google.co.uk/#safe=strict&q=frio+wallets

I have used them. Yes after a month, unused straight from the fridge need to stay in a fridge and obviously this cannot be done if travelling.

I think the way then is to contact the NHS and see if it's possible to collect new insulin in the country you are visiting. Remember you need an EHIC card to receive medical help abroad.

A

asparagusp

doug_1 did you see my last post?

A couple of points too to add. I have found that the single pouch swells up too much and it's extremely difficult to get the "pen" out without having to cut a few stitches in one of the side seams. I use a double pouch for one "pen"

The other thing to to remember is also keeping any other medication and your meter cool.