Any advice on travelling to India with insulin?

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, I'm sat here at Mumbai airport, frazzled from missing a connection because of the snow at Heathrow and running around trying to get through immigration, baggage claim, reservations, check-in, being sent constantly in the wrong direction....and almost predictably, I've just had my first hypo in the airport. I caught it in time..BG at 3.2.
Not a great start.

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Well, I'm sat here at Mumbai airport, frazzled from missing a connection because of the snow at Heathrow and running around trying to get through immigration, baggage claim, reservations, check-in, being sent constantly in the wrong direction....and almost predictably, I've just had my first hypo in the airport. I caught it in time..BG at 3.2.
Not a great start.

No! Look at it the other way around! You dealt with the complications of international flying and diabetes and are still maybe not happy but well. Good work, you’ve got this!
Cheers Leeanne

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You've got through your first hypos in extremely difficult conditions (I've had hypos in an airport, yuk), congratulations! Think baptism by fire.... Just make sure to always always always have glucose (or equivalent) with you. Good luck.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You've got through your first hypos in extremely difficult conditions (I've had hypos in an airport, yuk), congratulations! Think baptism by fire.... Just make sure to always always always have glucose (or equivalent) with you. Good luck.
The hypo was caught early enough. What I later kicked myself for was that I'd moved the now-opened pack of dextrose tablets from my trouser pockets to my carry-on and then let myself get pressured into abandoning fishing them out in order to let people behind me past. I then got hemmed into a window seat with people sleeping in front and beside of me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Ouch, yes. I always keep testing equipment, insulin and glucose actually on me when I'm flying! You've probably already found that your blood sugar tends to go up high after a hypo. Oh, the joys of Type 1 diabetes and hypos :)!

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
By the way, thanks for the support! Made it back without any further hypos. In fact, my BG levels were kept surprisingly stable despite being a bit naughty and having a biryani one day.

Reactions: Fairygodmother