Any Advice Please? (insulin Doses)

Shaners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Okay so if I forget to take my daily long lasting insulin (Lantus) which I take once daily and only remember say 4 hours or 6 hours later ect. To take it, do I still inject the full amount as usual or less as I’m already a few hours into the day??

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Personally, I'd take the full amount. The issue is going to come tomorrow when for the first 4 hours of tomorrow's dose you'll have two amounts of lantus in your system....

Shaners

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Ellie, but Exactly so would that not be dangerous having 2 lots in my system if I take the full amount?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks Ellie, but Exactly so would that not be dangerous having 2 lots in my system if I take the full amount?
Well, suppose you were supposed to have your lantus at 9pm , and instead you had it at 1am. The next day you'd have slightly too much lantus between 9am and 1am, but I'm guessing you could just reduce your evening bolus and/or have a snack to compensate. Most people find they can shift their lantus by 2 hours without any issue, maybe just have the next day's dose at 11pm and then the following day's one at 9pm?

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lower the dose the shorter the time period over which it acts. So an argument for a lower dose might be that you could get back in sync more quickly. You could correct if you needed with short acting.

I don't know which is the right answer, there are pros and cons to both, so you just have to chose what you prefer to take a risk with.

Either way you'll have to spend more time checking your blood sugars, so it's just a matter for you.