Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @DannyH Please don't give up, it doesn't matter where you come from we are all entitled to the same care.

I don't know how you contact your team but you need to get them on your case, it does take one good nurse to sit up and make things happen, so see if you can get someone to call you today, write all this down and explain to them you are desperate for help, be firm with them though so your focus should be getting your insulin reviewed and support with managing those high levels to get back into range again. I suggested low carb before because it's unwise to pack more carbs in on top of high glucose levels, you will be hungry because your body isn't processing the glucose in your blood and your cells need the energy. Low carb = low insulin doses so less room for error, if you're managing your glucose levels efficiently then it's up to you how many carbs you want to eat.

You can turn this around so please have hope, but do take action today and see if you can get someone to speak to you about this.

D

Deleted member 45091

Thanks again for advice etc, just people giving a **** matters, was at ae again Friday pain in eye, vomiting all sorts of stuff put me on morphine etc begged them to see the eye doctor, in there for hours, bottom line sent home rang ambulance again Sunday same thing, down to ae but did manage to see an eye doctor Monday morning eye pressure was total red and 79, done some laser into iris etc to let pressure out and put on a load of eye drops, but feeling tiny bit better but proper exhausted, spoke to diabetic team going back onto nova rapid and levimir but said there going to aim to bring my sugars down gradually as they have been high for along time, once again many thanks for replies means a lot

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks again for advice etc, just people giving a **** matters, was at ae again Friday pain in eye, vomiting all sorts of stuff put me on morphine etc begged them to see the eye doctor, in there for hours, bottom line sent home rang ambulance again Sunday same thing, down to ae but did manage to see an eye doctor Monday morning eye pressure was total red and 79, done some laser into iris etc to let pressure out and put on a load of eye drops, but feeling tiny bit better but proper exhausted, spoke to diabetic team going back onto nova rapid and levimir but said there going to aim to bring my sugars down gradually as they have been high for along time, once again many thanks for replies means a lot

Glad your team is doing something Danny, you need all the support you can get, it's hard enough dealing with the worry about your eyes without the diabetes, they are right it's wise to bring you down slowly so your body can adjust, try and get an email off your nurse so you can communicate more easily there, it's helpful for them to communicate this way too as they will have admin time in their day and you will get a response this way, chasing nurses on the phone isn't an ideal way of communicating as you have to fill them in with the background story, where as with an email conversation they can follow the history more easily in the email chain. Keep posting updates and let us know how you get on ?

Haggis1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Looking for any advice, been type 1 for 31 years, to say feel rough is an understatement, been ok for first years but last 10 or so been struggling, I know my length of time I should be a pillar of example but it's not quite worked like that, on Humalin M3 twice a day and the odd couple of units of nova rapid here and there, feeling ill all the time been to ae various times this year my sugars and nearly always above 20 faint weak etc, had various tests done most coming back ok apart from sugars, can't see out of one of my eyes at the moment after a another bleed after a victrectomy and cataract etc, currently testing around 100 times a day on my libre 2 and test around 20 a day on blood test strips, sugars are high but crash here and there not to a hypo as such but make me still feel rubbish, diabetes team are practical non existent just saying results abnormal but not abnormal for you, pretty much just staying house bound now feeling rough and exhausted all the time then a family member take me to my next eye appointment ect, I've gave up smoking over a year ago alcohol about 6 months ago, not sure what iam even asking just any kind of advice as I just really am struggling now

Haggis1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been insulin dependent since I was 7yrs old mate, 36 yrs ago!! I feel like death every day of my life, and only recently it’s started catching up.. with theee amazing kids from my previous marriage, two new kids from my new partner, then two more together - we have 7 kids!! This is stress I assure you.
I have worked my ass off forever. I work for a large Pharma company in management and recently survived 3 runs of redundancy...
my newest baby was diagnosed with meningitis from birth and with covid / zero help and support we have suffered. mom telling you this to set the scene. We are bellow bottom..
I am having hyperglycaemia 99% of my existence as I’m so scared to go into a coma again.
I urinate blood most days and wake up wishing I hadn’t. I have advanced retinopathy in my right eye and sight loss in my left eye due to advanced maculopathy..
when I ask the GP for help, worked so hard and see no future, reading your post is sad and I’m sorry fir your position.
You are not alone. I went hypo during a work meeting earlier and knocked myself out when I slipped.
Take care

[Mod edit to align with forum rules.]

Last edited by a moderator: