Any help regarding the best gym and diet plan?

domdom711

Hello pretty new on here. Ive been diabetic type 1 since 1999. And now im looking to start gyming it up to gain definiton and getting fitter. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best gym programme and diet to use with diabetes to achieve this?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
look up a local private trainer much better than a gym. 1 to 1 designed round you ours is £10each/session and boot camps al though today mine was a disaster wasnt ste fault was idiot meant to do it.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i agree with MID theres nothing you can't do in your living room that can be done in a gym, i had a personal trainer (at my gym) and the best work was done with core exercises on a mat with a few simple weights, if going to the gym inspires you to work out great, but a PT inside or outside the gym was essential for me, or a buddy to train with I'm sure would be good too, when i was on my own it was too easy to do less work and head for the showers, don't be discouraged from doing the exercise/gym it starts off very hard but quickly gets easier, the PT also gives you a personalised training plan tailored to your fitness level and ability (in my case there was neither a fitness level or ability) mine was £40 an hour once a week but you could maybe have them twice a month even if its just in the beginning to learn to use the equipment properly so you don't hurt yourself

Reactions: 2 people

domdom711

I will be training with a friend who has been doing some research into type 1 diabetic training etc. But the diet is obviously key.

Thanks for all the posts so far. Its been very useful

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Runsweet.com a good place to start as suggested. As you want to do weights for definition and cardio for fitness that is going to have a big.impact on your qa doses before and after. Always have a quick acting liquid glucose drink handy at all workouts. While your starting keep a good record of sugar levels, before, during and after workouts and get an idea of how your routines affect you. for me, to keep things easier I work on cardio one day then weights the next. This allows a rest period for the muscles and makes readings more predictable. But, learn to work your insulin around your routines. Eventually, you will pre empt the highs,lows before they happen. bear in mind it will probably also impact your basal dose, so after a while of things are tricky during the day do some basal checks to keep that in check

Reactions: 2 people