Any ideas? Need help!

xxconflictz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I have had t1 diabetes for 16 years, I know how to handle it with a A1C of 6.4.. my issue is that in the past year I went from a insulin to carb ratio of 1:7 to 1:3 and a correction factor of 20 to 9... I have no idea why my resistance increased so drastically and what is the most frustrating thing ever is that if I go above 180 I have max keytones on the pee stick and it can take up to 40 units to start to bring me down... Any ideas??

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @xxconflictz

Carb ratios and correction factors can and do change, but has anything else changed in the last year, different medication, different job, diet, stress levels, etc, etc......

Basal rates can also change, so if you haven't done a basal rate test recently, it would be worth doing that.

I'd also suggest asking your gp or endo team to prescribe blood ketone test strips, as they're more accurate.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: Antje77 and jjraak

Nai nai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have had t1 diabetes for 16 years, I know how to handle it with a A1C of 6.4.. my issue is that in the past year I went from a insulin to carb ratio of 1:7 to 1:3 and a correction factor of 20 to 9... I have no idea why my resistance increased so drastically and what is the most frustrating thing ever is that if I go above 180 I have max keytones on the pee stick and it can take up to 40 units to start to bring me down... Any ideas??
Hi xxconflictz,

Have you had COVID recently, as that has been shown to massively decrease insulin sensitivity in some diabetics. If this is the case, then you may need to think of you current position as an ongoing one and deal with it as best possible until that resistance starts to come good again.

I agree 1:3 is a large change from 1:7.

If this is not the case really the only other reasons I can think off are:

Weight changes
Stress changes
Exercise decrease
Other medical conditions that your endo may need to been seen for.

Best of luck.