Any LCHF/Keto meal ideas for lactose intolerance?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Diabuddies!

I'm doing okay at the moment and I hope everyone is also doing well. :)

I know majority of diabetics are doing either LCHF or keto and so I was wondering if anyone has a lactose free version of it. I'd like to try LCHF/keto meals again, but I wouldn't touch cheese, milk, bacon or sausages. I think this is also a culture thing as well because my family are chinese and we don't really touch cheese or bacon, I think mostly pork belly for vietnamese pho and rice. You'll only find a pint of milk in the fridge, no cheese to be found. :hilarious:

I also don't know if vegan cheese, plant based milks and chicken sausages be a good keto version because the fat isn't as high as milk, cheeses and pork sausages.

Thank you for your input.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All meat is low carb, no matter if it's pig, cow, fish or bird. So use meat of whatever sort you like, just be aware of what goes into marinades!
What about meat and vegetables? I often have that for a meal.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Diet Doctor site has dairy free recipes - not sure how many a free to access though as I'm a member so see everything - may be worth a look though :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All meat is low carb, no matter if it's pig, cow, fish or bird. So use meat of whatever sort you like, just be aware of what goes into marinades!
What about meat and vegetables? I often have that for a meal.
Thank you :) I'm interested in what you've eaten throughout the day, including breakfast.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :) I'm interested in what you've eaten throughout the day, including breakfast.
Yesterday was relatively low carb, here you go:
-Coffee with semi skimmed milk (4 mugs)
-Cracker (4 grams of carbs) with 2 eggs, bacon and tomato. It didn't really fit on the cracker but that doesn't matter.
-Later in the afternoon another cracker with butter and marmite and a piece of cheese.
-Kebab meat fried with onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, lots of garlic and a chilli pepper, served with raw onion, cucumber, tomatoes and spicy garlic sauce on top (mayonnaise, garlic, hot sauce, water).
-2 Beers.
-Peanuts and pistachio's with a glass of vodka before bed.

I don't eat low carb per se but I often eat lowish carb because insulin dosing is easier. I'm not recommeding you to eat (or drink!) what I eat, but you asked what I ate so this was it :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Not all T1s low carb, because of the option to adjust insulin. Some find control is better on a lower carb diet.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday was relatively low carb, here you go:
-Coffee with semi skimmed milk (4 mugs)
-Cracker (4 grams of carbs) with 2 eggs, bacon and tomato. It didn't really fit on the cracker but that doesn't matter.
-Later in the afternoon another cracker with butter and marmite and a piece of cheese.
-Kebab meat fried with onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, lots of garlic and a chilli pepper, served with raw onion, cucumber, tomatoes and spicy garlic sauce on top (mayonnaise, garlic, hot sauce, water).
-2 Beers.
-Peanuts and pistachio's with a glass of vodka before bed.

I don't eat low carb per se but I often eat lowish carb because insulin dosing is easier. I'm not recommeding you to eat (or drink!) what I eat, but you asked what I ate so this was it :)

hahaha, you do like your coffee and beers :hilarious:
Thanks for sharing!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Worked fine for me too! You can clearly see the beers at 5, but I accept this graph as what I aim for any day!
57123482_10217360551960116_8730536539777400832_n.jpg

Reactions: MeiChanski

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m allergic to meat and dairy, and also eat very low (<30g daily) carb - I eat a lot of fish, eggs, and veg :) It’s not the fat content that makes a meal keto, it’s the lack of carbs.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Not part of my diet long term for betes but I stumbled on the thread. Frittata type things? Mix a bunch of eggs, put them in a baking dish, add things you are willing to eat. Cook for 30-50 mins depending on how your oven goes. Chop into portions. Enjoy hot or told. Possibly with baked beans haha

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not part of my diet long term for betes but I stumbled on the thread. Frittata type things? Mix a bunch of eggs, put them in a baking dish, add things you are willing to eat. Cook for 30-50 mins depending on how your oven goes. Chop into portions. Enjoy hot or told. Possibly with baked beans haha

Oooo you're making my mouth water :hilarious: it's like quiche? without the crust?

I’m allergic to meat and dairy, and also eat very low (<30g daily) carb - I eat a lot of fish, eggs, and veg :) It’s not the fat content that makes a meal keto, it’s the lack of carbs.

I'm okay with eggs. If I were to replace it with high fat such as cheese and milk, I wouldn't be able to do it. so low carb is something i've considered.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Oooo you're making my mouth water :hilarious: it's like quiche? without the crust?

Yeah basically! Quiche minus carbs XD I tend to add chopped up salami, mini peppers, olives ect layer of grated cheese on the top as it finishes up. Nomnom. Lived on it at uni