any parents with children who pump??

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just been wondering how ur children cope with their pumps?? my son who is just 8 is being considered for a pump and ive explained it to him but hes worried about having it connected to him all the time, his control is not great and hes got both me and his nurses confused so think its the best option from what i have read. Also hes very active doing swimming twice a week, taekwondo and football at least twice a week so how will having a pump affect these activities, the other thing i was wondering (sorry asking alot i know) was night times is he likely to pull it out and also what happens if he wets the bed will it affect his pump?? as he can quite often still wake up wet even tho he wears a pull up hoping with better control this will stop as have noticed when bloods are correct hes is more often than not dry thanks for ur help just a few concerns both he and i have
anna marie

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello thanx for the reply was begining to think noone had children on a pump lol i know its going to be the best option for him but can understand him being anxious about it i remember doing the first injections and him screaming and begging not to have it done now he does it himself its just the unknown i think

richiejmorris

Hi there,
Our wee boy is almost 3, he's been on an insulin pump for about 2 months and is getting on well. prior to this he was on injections for just over 12 month (total nightmare). He can still go quite high if we dont clinically weigh his food or he can also go low for the same reason. Activities, he is a live wire, always has been. The Diabetic Educators should be able to help regarding activities and for swimming, we take the pump off for about 1.5 hours and let him go nuts. Sometime i give him a popper prior to swimming to raise his BG as swimming can bring him down to low otherwise.
Its great for them to see other kiddies with a pump so recommend you tag onto others in similiar situation.
Also, we have just got him some new pump holders, they are stretchy material (like latex i spose). Its a band that goes around his waist (like a cummerbund but not so wide) and the pump fits into a double fold in the material, its really secure and the pump doesn't jump around at all. Best thing ever esecially in a sports environment. We bought it for 30 dollars (in oz just now) but reckon i could make my own with a sewing machine easy enough. He floods his nappies 2-3 times a week as he likes lots of liquids but the pump is never affected. Dont worry about it, they are really robust.
One thing... if you struggle with the control of the pump then dont stop asking hte diabetic educators until you are confident with it.... its their jobs to help.
Best of luck.
RJM

sugar2

Hi,

I have children...and a pump, although it is me that is on the pump!
At night time, I would ecceomend sewing a baby sock into his pyjamas (top if the wetting is an issue).
Completely understand his fears...I would think that is completely normal, so definately see if your nurse can receomend a group where children have pumps, so that he can see that it is "normal". It does soon feel normal.

best of luck!

Aki

Hi

My 2year old daughter is on a pump she has been since she was first diagnosed a year ago. She is fine with it. I think at first it was a bit strange for her as i just clip it to the back of her clothes on the collar bit. If she is wearing trousers then i put it into her pocket. If accidently it comes out she tells me. She knows that it has her medicine in it. My daughter is fine with the pump at night. She is just use to it. As for activities your son can still have it on him as you can buy different types of clips for the pumps. Or he can take the pump off they usually recommend take it off for an hour. The pumbs are all water proof i think so if he wets the bed the pump shud still work.

Hope that was helpful.

Aki

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello

thanks we were put on the pump last mon and has been fine with it. nights have been no problem thanks to a lenny the lion pump case we were given with the pump its a teddy that dylan cuddles all night and loves it works really well :D

as for cases we have found if he doesnt have pockets the pump on the waistband digs in his side and makes it unconfortable so we have ordered the lycra band mentioned above as it looked fab and will be comfortable for him.

currently we are feeling very positive about the pump altho we have yet to try it with insulin as we have a trial week with saline first, looking forward to going live this mon and being free of those pesky injections we have been living with fot the last 4 years :)

anna marie