any suggestions?!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Re: any suggestions?!

Great Jay... Getting on with diabetic amyotrophy!! Its become my best friend now!!-lol!!

Just that sometimes I can get probs with a box. I can change box.. Even just swopping box to the same batch number can make a big difference. If this happens I can guarantee that even if I unknowingly go back to using the box with **** probs... That I will know because I will have them occuring again.

I know that with the rapid d sets that at the top layer of the box, the sets from that layer will always have a lot of airbubbles to prime through when I flick the connectors... By the time I get to the last of the bottom layer that when I flick the connectors, there will be next to no airbubbles...

The other suggestion I would make with an accuchek pump, is that the alarms for low battery do not go off as quick as they should. I also guarantee with mine that my levels will rise for about 3 days before the pump tells me that it is low on battery... I always change my batteries now on my first cartridge change of the month.. I just then use batteries on other appliances... I dont run the risk of running high because battery is wearing down...

Havent been on site for a long while, as just trying to minimise the time I think about my diabetes, as the pump and bg testing etc were getting to high significance in my life... Much better coping with the DA and D now that I'm not worrying about it.

Will PM you....Sx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hey Jay

How did you get on today?

Just a tip.. If I go over 10 nowadays... Certainly if my levels went to 30, I would always do a set change before doing a correction bolus if its possible. If that fails with unknown highs I change the whole lot before reverting to a pen. To me, its only persevarance with the pump that will find the reason for the highs/lows...I think in 3 years I've had to have a syringe jab of actrapid twice.

Dont forget that the ideal target time to get back to your target level is 5 hours... If you come down to target level with a correction bolus before 5 hours you are pretty likely to end up hypo...

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

donnellysdogs said:
Dont forget that the ideal target time to get back to your target level is 5 hours... If you come down to target level with a correction bolus before 5 hours you are pretty likely to end up hypo...

Is that true? I hadn't heard it was 5 (five) hours, but it would make sense... I have found that I have often dropped too low and then rebounded; have recently altered my correction ratio, which appears to be improving things.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Thats the time all my HCP's at 2 different hospitals have told me that I should aim to be at target level for. Personally, I have found their info correct.
So long as I can see my levels dropping at 2 hours, then I know I'm on the way down and just wait 5 hours. I will not adjust any more until 5 hours are up unless my machine settings see that I'm not going to get down to target at 5hours.

I think the combo may work the correction factor with the acting time and target. My machine is set up for acting time of 4 hours, so I suspect its basing itself to get me back to target within 4hrs not 5. However, its me that waits 5hrs before redosing nowadays.
Rather come down slower, than risk hypos and rebounding cycle...

Jess1234

Hey! This is the first ever time I have wrote on a diabetic forum, but I completely know where you are coming from! I have been diabetic for 16 years, and tomorrow I an going to get the pump.... I am nervous and excited, and I am hoping so so so much that it will sort me out. I have done DAFNE and It just doesn't seem to work, i go up and down like a yo yo and its really starting to get me down! I just nearly cried when I read you saying 'people just don't know how hard it is' so nice to hear that it's not just me, feeling less alone!!! Thanks!!! Jess.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Jess1234 said:
' so nice to hear that it's not just me, feeling less alone!!! Thanks!!! Jess.

You're spot on there Jess1234... just to learn that I had been suffering 'burnout' on and off for years was help in itself... where is DiabetesUK in this? A galaxy away it would seem to me. :thumbdown: