Any thoughts ?

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed 13 weeks ago as type 2.
Hba1c was 102 and after 8 weeks was down to 59. In total I have lost 3 stone since the beginning of this year.

I am on holiday being careful what I eat and drinking shorts we diet mixers.

Yesterday was the first time I had white bread in a long time.

Morning bloods where 5.6. I had a low carb breakfast.
Morning snack was a half a cheese toasty.
Lunch was a cheese and ham sandwich and I thought what the hell and had a pint and a half of beer.

Get this !!!!! My bloods 2 hours later was 4.8 mmol/l

How can this be ??????

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very good!
If you were walking around a fair bit that morning it might have dropped your levels, or it could have been the alcohol in the beer (yes, beer is carby, but the alcohol in it tends to drop my bg more than the carbs raise it)
In any event, I suppose the best thing is to keep to whatever regime you've been on- it looks like your insulin resistance might be improving. Maybe you can still reverse your diabetes?

Reactions: grante

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will reverse my diabetes. My bloods are constantly around mid 5's pre meals and around mid 6's 2hours after.
I've only seen an 8 once while on holiday and that a because I was given a full fat coke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the exact same experience on my holiday, except that my oe "indulgence " was a pint of sugared virgin pina colada which took me to 11 for a brief moment though I was still back to the 6's within an hour ! Enjoy your holiday

Reactions: grante

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
hello

how often do you test? I have made a few mistakes where I tested after a meal at 6 but overnight it was 2.2. This was my mistake as I as eaten a meal which the sugars released faster my normal meals. Fast sugars will come up fast and can go down the same.

The other factor is even mild dehydration mixed with temperatures make my levels higher than if I had done the same things on a colder day.

Unless you go below 4 I would not worry as it seems you are fabulous with your control. Keep up the good work

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine the beer had a lot to do with that 4.8 at 2 hours. What often happens is beer will shoot your levels high very early on due to the carbs and then the alcohol can cause a big drop afterwards.