chrisdoh1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything velvet, mushrooms.
Hello,

I am LOADED with man flu and am a newbie to diabetes, I had a quick scan on the site for tips on dealing with illness and having diabetes, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on things to take and not to take, I have max flu and cold pills, vicks, cough bottle but I stopped taking that as the side affects were horrific.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paracetamol, plenty of fluids and bed-rest usually does the job.

Reactions: 2 people

chrisdoh1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything velvet, mushrooms.
Thanks! wish I could bed rest

It was something I would have asked at my 1st appointment with the diabetic nurse at my health centre but been told that I cannot see her until January, had a letter on Friday telling me to make an appointment and now I cannot see her to January, no help from GP, cant see nurse till Jan. My level of guidance and advice has been appalling from so called health professionals (4 blood tests done and still no clearer to what type I am).

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, ive just been through man flu, its lingering but almost gone, i too cant bed rest, i went into chemist and explained i was on met bp and chol meds and she said only paracetamol is allowed :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am just getting rid of my cold I am female so never get man flu :lol: I take echinacea drops which seems to help and has no carbs A good slug of whiskey before bed with hot water lemon and cloves and cinnamon forget the last 2 if you dont have them to hand it may not make the cold go away quicker but it feels like it :D
CAROL

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
carty said:
I am just getting rid of my cold I am female so never get man flu :lol: I take echinacea drops which seems to help and has no carbs A good slug of whiskey before bed with hot water lemon and cloves and cinnamon forget the last 2 if you dont have them to hand it may not make the cold go away quicker but it feels like it :D
CAROL

lol

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
carty said:
CAROL
Woman flu can sometimes be worse than man flu! :lol:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Giverny said:
carty said:
CAROL
Woman flu can sometimes be worse than man flu! :lol:

hey! you get menstral cycles and child birth, let us have manflu, its all weve got

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i had a cold for 5 weeks then last week it got worse with fever, body aches, coughing. Already had a course of antibiotics then it came back even worse. Now Im on stronger antibiotics. Had a chest x ray and blood tests today. Fingers crossed its just bad flu.

Its strange because i got sick as soon as I had a flu jab!!! Had the jab on the Monday. By friday I had this cold and its been 6 weeks now!!!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Omnipod said:
i had a cold for 5 weeks then last week it got worse with fever, body aches, coughing. Already had a course of antibiotics then it came back even worse. Now Im on stronger antibiotics. Had a chest x ray and blood tests today. Fingers crossed its just bad flu.

Its strange because i got sick as soon as I had a flu jab!!! Had the jab on the Monday. By friday I had this cold and its been 6 weeks now!!!

i never get colds, mine was also after the jab, hmmm makes you wonder huh, get better soon !!

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I never had the flu jab last year and never had a cold or flu this year I had the jab and for the last week I have had the worst cold I have ever had

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just made kill or cure soup I am sure any cold would run a mile after this :lol:
Half a large red chilli ,half a large garlic bulb ,medium onion 1/4 red pepper 1/4 green pepper 1/4 yellow pepper about 2 inch piece of courgette a few left over green beans, stock cube
Chop all ingredients ,cover with water and cook for about 20 mins in tightly lidded pan or 10 mins in pressure cooker blitz and eat
PHEWW CAROL

Reactions: 3 people

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
GP suggested gargling with 3-4 soluble aspirin for a nasty sore throat a few weeks ago NOTE: you must not swallow them as otherwise you'll overdose but I felt better pretty quickly after doing this a couple of times

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
chrisdoh1983 said:
Hello,

I am LOADED with man flu and am a newbie to diabetes, I had a quick scan on the site for tips on dealing with illness and having diabetes, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on things to take and not to take, I have max flu and cold pills, vicks, cough bottle but I stopped taking that as the side affects were horrific.
Forget about that stuff, get a vitamin C with zinc tablet, take as many as you're allowed, see if you can fins Seven seas, berries, , , must have Zinc, retards the cold symptoms and drink a lot, don't take any tabs with caffeine, increases Bp

Chatterbox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Feeling hungry! “Should you be eating that?” “ You get it because you eat wrong”
Out of all the advice I think I like the whiskey one best. ;) Can you get it on prescription?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chris!

I agree with Noblehead that paracetamol and rest is the best approach. Every cold remedy I've tried has sent my BG mad.

On the subject of mad BG, colds and flu do cause my BG to up shockingly and I become very resistant to my injected insulin. I know you posted on another thread about your huge spikes and I suspect you have LADA rather than Type 2. It might be that the onset of your cold caused the spikes - it really can do that - I was very frightened the first time I got a cold after diagnosis as my BG was shocking. However, if you do have LADA and no insulin, you need to keep a close check on the BG. Drink plenty of water. Go easy on the carbs and if your BG goes high - maybe above 14 - and you feel sick at all, get medical advice. If possible, go to a chemist and buy some ketosticks so that you can check for ketones if your BG rises.

Take care

Smidge

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
you can use almost any cold medications but try to avoid syrup type medicines unless sugar free also any chemist will advise you be sure to tell them your diabetic

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One large shot of brandy or cognac, two large shots of port together in a glass and microwave for 30 seconds. Inhale fumes then drink. Does it work? Who cares!

Reactions: 6 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will have a try after my whisky toddy Hic
CAROL