Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
Hi all,
Just a quickie really to anyone else who is a gigging drummer. I'm type 1 on insulin and had my first hypo onstage last night, not pleasant and not funny. Hoping to hear from anyone with the same issues and how they prepare for a gig.
Many thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You don't need to be a Type I or a Drummer to learn how to avoid Hypo's........

See here :

How to avoid Hypoglycaemia
In order to avoid a hypo you should ask yourself what might have caused it. There are a number of possible reasons:

• Not enough food (especially carbohydrate/starch) or a late meal or snack
• More activity than usual
• Too much treatment. You may need to reduce insulin or tablets especially if you have lost weight
• The timing of your tablets or insulin may contribute to a hypo
• Your injection sites my be overused causing erratic absorption of insulin
• Heat ( a hot day or having a hot bath for example may cause more rapid absorption of insulin)
• Alcohol in excess can cause hypoglycaemia overnight or the next day

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/content/defaul ... 11_4#Avoid

You should always have some quick acting carbs, Glucotabs, Lucozade, Jelly Babies etc to hand so that before it gets to the hypo stage you can treat it. Prevention is always better....... :)

Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
yeah, its easy to pick up a jelly baby whilst holding a stick in each hand mid song..

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Most of the drummers I have known looked and played like they had 6 pairs of hands !

My Bro used to be in a band and the drummer there managed to eat sandwiches, drink loads of beer and even chat up women while on stage and playing........if you can't manage a Jelly Baby or two........ :lol:

One of his party tricks was to place some sweets on one of the cymbals and whack the thing when he fancied one........he invariably caught at least one in his mouth..... :wink:

Dislikes
the setting sun in the evening
Not a drummer but a big Metallica fan. Try taking two or three weetabix or shredded wheat with milk before your gigs.The natural sugars in wheat metabolise at a fairly stable rate but when you exert yourself (aka Lars Ulrich) it is absorbed more quickly helping to maintain a level blood-sugar and preventing hypo,s. You should also consider lowering your insulin dose before a gig. Ask your GP or diabetic nurse to explain and prescribe the use of a glucagon injection kit and train a designated band member how and when to use it.
Regards Ricky

Froobes

One of my friends is a type 1 drummer in a band, he generally tends to let his sugars run a little high before the gig and keeps some lucozade next to the set and has a few sips in song breaks if he feels his bm's are coming down too much. I guess it depends on your hypo awareness as to how quickly you can react, with you saying it was your first hypo all I can suggest is that you let them run a little on the high side. I wouldn't advise it all of the time obviously, but I know from watching him at gigs how much energy is used!