1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anybody else experience this?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Coopsman1, May 31, 2017.

1. Coopsman1

Coopsman1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

IMG_0582.JPG i have been using a libre for the past fortnight and started to realise something unusual. It is my understanding that the principle of rapid insulin (Novorapid) is to create a short spike and then over a four hour period slowly reduce the glucose levels.

What I have started to see using the libre, is that at breakfast I spike (as per norm) but then the gradual decline seems to run out of steam quickly resulting in a long drawn out process of reducing levels before the next meal. I carb count as accurately as I can, and I would appreciate people's thoughts or if it's me potentially seeing something that does not really exist. I have done recent basal testing and do not believe this is a factor as I tend to drop a little throughout the day even when fasting.

Thought I would ask for a consensus before asking to see a DSN/ GPas I hate wasting their time when I can try and sort things out myself. After all Diabetes is a condition that you need to self manage (with professional help when required).

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

When are you bolusing @Coopsman1? Most of us find that with Novorapid, we need to take it 30-45 mins ahead of eating to avoid the meal spikes. Novorapid lasts about 4-5 hours in the system, and the graph is pretty typical of how it works.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Coopsman1

I inject the rapid immediately before eating as this is what I was advised. I shall try a bit before and see how that goes.

4. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure I follow what it is you are asking? What exactly do you plan on asking your GP/DSN?

Novorapid doesn't "create a short spike". The spike in blood sugar is created by whatever you're consuming.

Novorapid has a rough duration of action as follows:
    • 15-30 minutes after injecting, it commences working
    • 2hours after injecting - the action is peaking
    • Up to 6 hours after injecting - it can still be working
    Carbs can be digested at different rates raising blood at different speeds depending on what it is you are eating - something with complex carbs or something fatty might raise blood sugar a couple of hours (or more) after eating, a simple carb will raise blood sugar pretty instantly.

What is it you are eating for breakfast?

When do you bolus and when do you eat? You might need to consider pre blousing so the insulin is acting when you eat and you can avoid/reduce the spike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

That might well be causing the spike then. Try moving your bolus gradually 5 mins at a time. You'll probably find you need to bolus at different times for different meals (ie breakfast, etc)

• Like Like x 2
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The following article (from the author of the book Think Like a Pancreas) explains about pre-bolusing to reduce postprandial spikes:

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement....blood-glucose-management/strike-the-spike-ii/

On a morning I inject 20-25 mins before eating, some find they have to bolus further in advance where as others don't, the Libre will keep you right @Coopsman1

• Like Like x 2
  7. Coopsman1

All of your info is spot on as I took my morning bolus 10 mins before eating breakfast and the spike has reduced. I will try little adjustments at a time and this morning it has helped with not such a high reading 2hrs after.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook