Anybody using silhouette set?

Blondie153

My daughter has had two very high days and have to inject her a number of times. Medtronic have recommended that she now try the silhouette set as she is too lean and is bending the cannula. Anybody had a good experience with them?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Sorry only just read this. I started on the quicksets and they were hopeless for me. As soon as I switched to silouhettes I've not had a set problem in over 2 years - not one has kinked or failed to deliver alarm. I am fairly slim too. For me they are superb

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use silhouettes. I've had a few kinks but not many. I do insert them manually, the inserter scared me and I decided I wanted more control over depth and speed of insertion. It works well for me.

Blondie153

Thanks for these. She is only 9 and cried when we looked at the YouTube footage of it. She always uses her thigh and hips is that accessible with this system? How easy is it to self insert? Thanks for the help

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Mmm - sorry don't know answers to those questions. I always use my tum and I use the inserter. Took a few intake of breaths for the first few but after that quick and easy. Very tough for a little 9 year old though as it is all pretty daunting. Just as an aside, have you signed up with JDRF or checked their website. They have a 'Rufus the bear' who has patches where he has to inject - I think kids may be eligible for a free bear (my hubby bought me one an I'm 48!). Best of luck.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter has had two very high days and have to inject her a number of times. Medtronic have recommended that she now try the silhouette set as she is too lean and is bending the cannula. Anybody had a good experience with them?

When i started pumping i was given an assortment of soft sets to try, and tried them all - gave up for a while as could not cope with them, or the up and down control - but then i found the metal sets, and now use the Sure T, 6 mm, no problems if changed every 2 days as advised. But a lot of trial and error for months getting the right technique and site to avoid pain, and have to admit the set change is still the worst bit of pump life. I had over 30 years of numerous syringe injections a day, and would rather have 10 injections than insert one infusion set . But pump life has so many advantages, regarding smoother control and less hypos, it is a different life. I choose a restful time of day to change a set, never in a hurry so it does not cause problems. It is a lot for a 9 year old to go through, hope things work out ok whatever you settle with - which infusion set suit seems very individual.