Anyone any experience with pumps and going into hospital?

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks fig its extremely reassuring to know you were early with both of your babies too, I think that's the scariest part for me at the moment thinking its too early to be fetching baby into the world x

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is early but at least we are well prepared and get lots of extra scans and check ups. I know a few people that have had unexpected prem babies and they seem to have a lot more problems than we do because they hadn't had steroids and hadn't been mentally prepared for it. Both my kids are healthy and you would never know they were early. Just be prepared for a section as they tend to encourage them, i didn't want one but ended up with it being an emergency one with Lily so opted for an elective section the second time and thank god i did as Archie was 9lb13, hate to think how big he would have been full term :wideyed: x

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Hi, just a little note, my son was born at 36 weeks and my daughter at 32 weeks, neither of them have any problems with their lungs and I didn't have steroids for her. Just stand your ground and say what treatment you want, after all it's for you and your baby and nobody knows themselves better than you and your diabetes, better than you. I know have a new Dr who looks after my diabetes and he is the first one in 33years, to admit diabetes isn't a one size all disease, both mine were section, first one closed with staples and I hated them, second one I asked for stitches , so much better.. Btw my 2 are now 14 & 9. Enjoy while they are young as they grow up so fast. And good luck.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its so reassuring to hear your eaely babies have been ok. I ended up with a section with my first at 37 weeks due to a failed induction but I was in for 3 nights being induced so was exhausted. They've said I can opt for a section due to the risk of scar rupture and I think I'm going to go for an elective this time to make things as smooth as possible, birth is complicated enough without diabetes isn't it.

Reactions: 3 people

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a brief chat with the consultant he told me not to worry, the last lady pumping used a temporary basal rate of 200% and it worked well for her. He reassured me even if I was to go on a drip it would be additional to the pump, so fingers crossed if this admission goes to plan after next weeks appointment this will be the case

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like really good news. One concern.. the idea of a drip additional to a pump sounds a bit risky. Did he mean, both at the same time? Or just one as a backup to the other?

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both at the same time as supposedly steroids play havoc with your bloods rising. I'm hoping it won't come to a drip at all though and a temporary basal rate and if needed lots of corrections will be sufficient. It's been a big worry for me coming off the pump then restarting so I feel happy with that, plus it's not for a long period of time just a few days so fingers crossed all will be ok

Reactions: 2 people

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spent a week in hospital just a year ago. Stayed on my Combo pump, had an operation and as my BG was around 7 mmol/l when I went under they left me connected and I came round 2 hrs later, all was fine.

Did have some issues where I needed to increase my basal by 100% for a day or so but was ok.

In my favour I did have my Dexcom fitted too.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Both at the same time as supposedly steroids play havoc with your bloods rising. I'm hoping it won't come to a drip at all though and a temporary basal rate and if needed lots of corrections will be sufficient. It's been a big worry for me coming off the pump then restarting so I feel happy with that, plus it's not for a long period of time just a few days so fingers crossed all will be ok
Steroids do play havoc on your Blood sugar.
Hence why you need to make sure your basal will deliver at least 3 times the amount you would normally need. You will also need to do corrections.
A sliding scale is not needed at the same time and could be very dangerous.

As I said in a previous post I had an emergency admission where over a 24 hour period I had 500mg steroids pumped into me IV. This was needed for what is known as an Addison's crisis. I had also been given 200mg whilst at home and on route via blue lights to the hospital.
All that was managed with just using my pump.
Take plenty of test strips with you and monitor every hour so you can adjust your basal as needed oh and take plenty of hypo treatment just incase. of a sudden drop.
You will be fine :)

Reactions: 3 people