Anyone else experience higher blood sugar during periods

nanabon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posted this on another site and it got closed due to medical advice. I will see a doc and I'm not looking for medical advice. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Sorry if this is TMI but wanted to see if there are others. Been on keto since end of march and my periods are intermittent as I'm going through the change (thot it was done as went almost 18 months). I have had 2 light ones in June and July (like today). I'm T2 diabetic with no meds and full on keto but I noticed last month and this month that during my period my blood glucose readings are between 8.5 and 11.5. Last 24 hours, just as an experiment, I've had virtually no carbs. Last night dinner bacon and eggs, this morning scrambled eggs and butter, lunch was meatloaf (minced beef with spices, dripping added as it was 85% lean, and a couple eggs to bind it). Drinking cold brewed black tea, no sweetener or sugar. Just took blood glucose and its 9.3. I've checked the monitor with the fluid stuff you can get and it's fine, checked using a different monitor and its 9.4. So I'm wondering if this just happens when you have that time of month. Anybody else having this experience?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posted this on another site and it got closed due to medical advice. I will see a doc and I'm not looking for medical advice. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Sorry if this is TMI but wanted to see if there are others. Been on keto since end of march and my periods are intermittent as I'm going through the change (thot it was done as went almost 18 months). I have had 2 light ones in June and July (like today). I'm T2 diabetic with no meds and full on keto but I noticed last month and this month that during my period my blood glucose readings are between 8.5 and 11.5. Last 24 hours, just as an experiment, I've had virtually no carbs. Last night dinner bacon and eggs, this morning scrambled eggs and butter, lunch was meatloaf (minced beef with spices, dripping added as it was 85% lean, and a couple eggs to bind it). Drinking cold brewed black tea, no sweetener or sugar. Just took blood glucose and its 9.3. I've checked the monitor with the fluid stuff you can get and it's fine, checked using a different monitor and its 9.4. So I'm wondering if this just happens when you have that time of month. Anybody else having this experience?

Nanabon, have you had medical confirmation that what you are experiencing is a period, as opposed to a vaginal bleed?

My strong advice would be, to see a medic to have things checked out, first and foremost. Post-menopausal bleeding can be a sign of sinister things - or nothing at all.

Your Doc will be able to examine the area, and would also be able to order up a blood test which indicates where you are on your menopausal journey. It's most often used to "prove" a menopause has ended, butt also in circumstances like yours.

The raised blood glucose could be anything, from a hormonal reaction, such as your think, through to inflammation, through to lots of other things.

As you appreciate my post is not a diagnosis, or a professional assessment of your condition. I am merely pointing out the wisdom of caution.

Good luck with it all.