Anyone else having issues with DVLA?

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I reapplied for my licence in July this year. I have a 3 year restricted licence. It ran out in August. No licence returned from DVLA but plenty of questionnaires and hoops to jump through, and repeat jumping through. What the hell are they playing at? Anyone else having issues? Nightmare to deal with, can’t get through on phone, then they cut you off when you do.……

• Agree
Reactions: DiabeticBloke1

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Other posters on the forum, including myself, had the same problem. Looks like they've still got a backlog.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted my MP who wrote to the DVLA which helped move things along, but there was a big delay. It took the DVLA about 3 months before they even started the checks with my GP.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no other issues apart from insulin treated diabetes that affect my license. Therefore, I was able to apply on line.
I received my new license within a week of my application.
It definitely seems as if online applications are handled quicker ... some may suggest it is automated.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgreymare

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reapplied for my licence in July this year. I have a 3 year restricted licence. It ran out in August. No licence returned from DVLA but plenty of questionnaires and hoops to jump through, and repeat jumping through. What the hell are they playing at? Anyone else having issues? Nightmare to deal with, can’t get through on phone, then they cut you off when you do.……
You be waiting a longggggg time! My husband is on a 3 year restricted licence which ran out 30 December 2021 and we applied to renew it 20 October 2021 and he eventually got his new one 2 weeks ago!!! They didn’t even write to his consultant until July. We were on holiday when the letter saying he had been approved came through but luckily my sister was going in every couple of days and mentioned it so when we asked her to open it they stated that he had 2 weeks from letter date to send a new photo or his licence would be revoked. She managed to ring them and explain why it wouldn’t be returned within the timescale so they gave us extra time

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I re applied for my licence back in April 2021, then my Gp whom I’ve never met ballsed up a question on the form about my mental health which resulted in me being refused my license back in July for 7 weeks. I’ve now had to reapply for my licence as it was over a year of applying previously and again after having a medical with the same dr he left info out that I needed! It’s been a nightmare!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks. This thread has just reminded me about all the drama I've been through, a few years ago now (thank goodness!). I had a heart attack and a stroke (TIA) back in 2009 and I was banned from driving for 6 months afterwards. Fair enough too, because I was still in a daze for several months afterwards. Once I got my drivers license back you'd think that was the end of the story. BUT NO, that's when the (Australian) Motor Registry (or your DVLA) in my state discovered that I also had diabetes - which I'd had for several years before this - and that's when the trouble started for me. Every year I had to renew my license and every year, that involved a full medical check by my GP, at a cost of about $A 99 each year (NOT covered by Medicare/NHS), plus the license fee (normally you only need to renew and pay every 10 years, and you don't normally require a full medical). As a retiree living on a small pension, that all became very expensive - not to mention extremely frustrating. I couldn't understand why people with worse medical issues, such as my mate with Parkinsons Disease, did not have to do this. This nonsense went on for several years until a new GP wrote a letter to the Motor Registry saying that my diabetes was well controlled. Only then did they finally back off. What a drama! So I can understand and sympathize with people on this thread, and what you've gone through. Cheers, DB1.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You be waiting a longggggg time! My husband is on a 3 year restricted licence which ran out 30 December 2021 and we applied to renew it 20 October 2021 and he eventually got his new one 2 weeks ago!!! They didn’t even write to his consultant until July. We were on holiday when the letter saying he had been approved came through but luckily my sister was going in every couple of days and mentioned it so when we asked her to open it they stated that he had 2 weeks from letter date to send a new photo or his licence would be revoked. She managed to ring them and explain why it wouldn’t be returned within the timescale so they gave us extra time
Finally arrived last week! Looks like they’re getting through the backlog, finally.

Dreamer1

I have no other issues apart from insulin treated diabetes that affect my license. Therefore, I was able to apply on line.
I received my new license within a week of my application.
It definitely seems as if online applications are handled quicker ... some may suggest it is automated.
I tried on line but every time I entered my post code it rejected it so I had to do post one very annoying one

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I tried on line but every time I entered my post code it rejected it so I had to do post one very annoying one
In the initial letter from the DVLA, it should say that your licence runs out on such-and-such a date, but you can legally drive while your licence is being processed, even after the due date. About 6 years ago I had a puncture in a difficult stopping place and a policewoman came to assist. When I produced the letter from the DVLA she was not entirely happy, but I would reccommend carrying any communication from the DVLA in your car. I waited 15 months for my last licence!

• Informative
Reactions: oldgreymare