Anyone find BG goes *down* after stopping taking Metformin?

RussG

Hi all,

Anyone else notice that their BG levels got better when they stopped taking Metformin?

I was initially diagnosed as type 2 a couple of years back and put on Metformin. That worked for a while but then seemed to just stop being effective, even after dose was increased to 2g per day. I'm now under investigation for type and started on insulin (Lantus and Apidra) as well as Metformin about two weeks ago. This got my levels down by about 40-50% and I have averaged about 12, which is clearly still high but a significant improvement, believe me. I had observed that on a couple of occasions recently when I forgot a dose of Met before I started insulin, my BG was better than when I took it (which I was pretty reliably doing). I have now stopped Met after discussion with the diabetic nurse and in the three days since I stopped, every test, both before and after meals has been under 10, which I am pleased with as progress.

This effect may well just be coincidental with the insulin having reached sufficient levels to become even more effective but has anyone else noticed this? As I said, I may be type 2, 1 or 1.5 / LADA so it's not clear whether I'm insulin deficient or resistant. I am not overweight now, and lost a bit whilst my BG levels continued to rise.

Any thoughts?

louiseb

Re: Anyone find BG goes *down* after stopping taking Metform

bump..............................................