Type 2 Anyone here living with diabetes since long??

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please share your story with me and tell me how long u have been with this diabetes ... I was recently diagnosed and I am pretty concerned that does diabetes shorten the lifespan of a person?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Uncontrolled diabetes clearly shortens lifespan (and quality of life), but not as much as smoking does.

It is possible when Type2 is reversed and control by diet, that then having had Type2 does not have any effect on lifespan. But no one has enough data to say for sure.

(I see the usage of drugs for Type2 as being a way to speed up the improvement from a diet with radically fewer carbs, hence I support the use of drug along with diet. But aiming to get an A1C in the low 30s (5%) then reducing all drugs other the Metformin.)

Reactions: Altaf_7

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have no idea how long I have had diabetes, all I can say is I was formally diagnosed about eighteen months ago.

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 21 years ago in my late 30s and told on diagnosis that Id already had it for at least 15-20 years ( bit of a bummer given that Id been tested during that time but only via urine dip sticks which are not very reliable diagnostic tools )

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I was diagnosed type 2, no meds, 47 years ago at the age of 12. Still healthy, no meds, no other ailments other than mild arthritis.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
@LouWilk059 What have you done to control your T2 for so many years?
Stayed at a healthy weight. Home made foods, very little take out. Still ate carbs but little sugar. Once menopause hit though, that changed. Had to switch to a low carb diet to keep BG down to 5.1-5.6. That range seems to work well for me.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The homemade food would have resulted in a much lower level of refined carbs (mostly high GI) then what most people eat in the UK.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed nearly 4 years ago and I was initially on medication for BP, cholesterol and on Metformin. With a change in diet I am no longer on any meds. If one is able to keep their BS at a 'normal' level then it shouldn't shorten your lifespan. You have to remember that there are many variables during your life and diabetes in just one of them.