anyone on premixed 2x injection insulin

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys i wanted to ask if anyone here is on 2x injection premixed 70/30 insulin how long have you been using it what are your opinon on it?.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi guys i wanted to ask if anyone here is on 2x injection premixed 70/30 insulin how long have you been using it what are your opinon on it?.

I'm not on it now but I used 25/75 for over 3 years from the point of diagnosis until early this year. I find basal / bolus and multiple daily injections much more useful when trying to marry blood glucose levels with a variable lifestyle. Far less hypo's too, although in part that may be attributed to use of FGM

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used pre mixed many many years ago, 2x daily injections.
The change to basal / bolus regime was absolutely fantastic.
Far better control.
Only my opinion, but if there’s no specific reason to be using pre mixed insulin then don’t. MDI and pumps offer so much more.

Timostags

Same for me I was started on mixtard 30 when first diagnosed many years ago. But around when I hit 16 I was changed onto Lantus and Novo rapid.

I found when I was on pre mix I had to be very careful what and when I ate, whereas the lantus / Novo rapid allows alot more flexibility

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thanks for reply guys reason i might go back to 70/30 mix is that currently and i dont understand how to get my basal insulin right i knw this sounds crazy but basal testing or even when i miss my basal my sugar is staying flat iv tryed on various so its kind if impossible to get my basal right it sound crazy i know basal tested many times i spoke to my diabetic doc about this he said he think i may be producing some insulin which dont sound right but i carnt understand tbh when diagnosed sugars were extremly.high and was put on humulin m3 i dont know how my body might be producing some insulin after 15+ years

Timostags

Is there a possibility you have type 2? If your body is still producing some insulin. Are there any test that can be done to check for islet cells?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you still on the mixed insulin as you mention adjusting the Basal which you can't do with mixed other than changing the mix? NICE recommends all T1s are now started on Basal/Bolus as mixed only really suits those can't face injecting at least 4 times per day.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on it for about 40+ years until December 2017. Personally I'm finding Basal/Bolus a bit of a nightmare as you need a degree in maths to be able to obtain good control, and yes there is certainly 200% more flexibility on what you eat and when etc, but it's a nightmare for high protein meals etc, I'm still learning on it, I said to myself I'll give it about 12 months and then decide if I'm gonna stay on it of revert back. So lets see.

Sorry for got to say my average time in target on pre-mix was about 65% on the Basal/Bolus it's about 75% and I'm still learning BUT it is about 300% more work on Basal/Bolus.