1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone seen any actual evidence on Intermittent Fasting?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by LucySW, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Osidge

Osidge Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

People with decreased insulin sensitivity become glucose intolerant and there is a test for that.

2. onnecar

onnecar Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know there is a glucose fasting test whereby your blood is tested and then you drink a glass of glucose water and test again. However I did not know there was a test for measuring the level of glucose tolerance. But I've never heard of a test for actually measuring insulin resistance.

3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

There is a test (sorry forgotten its fullname) for measuring the amount of insulin produced.

Kraft used it for 30 years, and called it an Insulin Assay, I think. Not used in the UK to my knowledge.

The key thing would be how much insulin was needed to deal with the glucose in (for example) an oral glucose tolerance test.

If a 'normal' produces x amount, to keep blood glucose 'normal' during test.
    and a 'insulin resistant person' used x + extra insulin to keep bg 'normal' then that person has a measurable amount of insulin resistance. The key thing is that their insulin resistance will not show up as glucose intolerance and raised bgs, because they are pumping out enough insulin to keep bg 'normal' with the knock on effect that it causes insulin resistance.

You may find this video interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

C-peptide? It actually measures peptide in the blood which is meant to be equal to the amount of insulin. Both are produced in the pancreas at the same rate.

5. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

The test used for clinical studies measuring insulin resistance is called a "glucose clamp":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_clamp_technique

There is also another method that is used to approximate this outside of clinical studies called a HOMA calculation. It uses fasting insulin and fasting glucose:

https://www.dtu.ox.ac.uk/homacalculator/

I think a lot of us would be really pleased if someone came up with a way of measuring insulin via a meter in the same way we can already do for glucose :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My point was more that I'd never had a test measuring insulin. I wasn't sure what it was called.

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you @Indy - Glucose clamp was what I couldn't remember.

@DavidGrahamJones the c-peptide does measure how much insulin you produce, but that could also be in response to a high carb diet, rather than a normal carb diet with high insulin resistance, if you see what I mean. You need simultaneous bg testing and insulin (glucose clamping) to see their relationship and discover the insulin resistance.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook