Anyone taking medication for anxiety here?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Is anyone suffering from anxiety here and is taking medication for it? Which medication? Has it helped? Any side effects?

kmwa

Dislikes
olives, stilton, salt, anti social behaviour, the wifes ex husband, oops, he's dead now.
I am taking Citalopram and have not had any side effects.
Maybe I'm a bit too chilled out lol as nothing really excites me much nowdays, apart from money lol.
I had a panic attack a few years back and the doctor put me on fluoxetine(check spelling).
Then on another visit some time later, another doctor changed it to citalopram, as she said this was more suitable for anxiety! and I've been on this ever since.
Panic attack was not due to worrying about going low, only thing I could think of was the impending doom of darker nights.

cherylle

Only just read your post iv been on citalapram for a long time i was on it for 10 years i was fine then a new doctor came to our practise and talked me in to comeing of them within 18 months i had completly lost the plot i laugh now how bad i was but in the end i thought i was going to die i thought it was a heart attack i phoned 999 and if i hadnt i dont know were id be.the paramedics were fantastic made sure my g.p saw me and the citalapram was given again.Iv now been back on it 3 years found outt i was type2. in jan2013 and if i hadnt.been on them well who knows the citalapram are well talerated with other tablets am on.a bit strange when you first start taking them side effects arent nice but i got there.and feel good no more panic attacks.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I take anxiety and depression tablets
I'm a type 1 diabetic have been for 12 years now. I had problems in the past when I was younger as I was diagnosed at 11. The earlier years of my diabetes I was in hospital most months for anything from a few days to 2 weeks sometimes longer. I think being diagnosed with diabetes has been one of the main causes of my anxiety and depression my mum always said "you were such a happy boy when you were little" I used to say that the day I got diagnosed ruined my life but now I'm under control and living life how I want and not living live dependant on what my diabetes allows me to do.

Currently on novo rapid x3-4 a day and levimir x1 a day

candy89

yes,

I got type 1 last year after pancreatitis led to a DKA coma. I have had insomnia, anxiety and depression since diagnosis and take Xanax, Valium, Dormicum, Lorazopam and Halcion. I rattle!

I have an eating disorder developing with fear of gaining weight and this cocktail keeps the fear at bay, sometimes.

Levemir x 2 Novorapid x carbs

kerrycakes

I take pregablin(daily) and diazapam(as needed) for anxiety...also take antidepressant, antipsychotic and a few other as needed med. Was already taking them when i was diagnosed, but my diabetic nurse assured me they would work my diabetes around my mental health, as if my mental health deteriorated that would have a negative effect on the diabetes.....

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Yes. I've been taking 20mg citalopram for 6 weeks. They are ok & helping me with depression & anxiety. They have not affected my diabetic control at all but I have put a few pounds on. Not sure why as I'm eating similar & as I'm an endurance athlete I a monitor what I eat against activity & effort levels. I'm going to ask for an increased dose as I'm still not sleeping with the anxiety & feel them 'wear off' in the evening.

LittleWolf

I was anorexic and still have food anxiety since

I was severely depressed and anxious to the point I'd have panic attacks and attempt suicide almost daily. All these problems were since I was 12 years old. I was recently given the maximum dose of Midazolam and Valium during a root canal gone totally wrong and it had no effect on me whatsoever and I was still distressed. I still think its questionable to just load people up with sedatives all day to stop panic attacks.

You're best off PMing me about how I self medicated to start eating again and control my anxiety.

hornplayer

Was on citalopram for a month at the end of last term. Was having really nasty panic attacks. I stopped after one pack. I didn't notice any side effects. I may well have to take them again but I'm going to try to avoid it if I can. They took the edge off but the idea of taking anything long term worries me. - it's bad enough having to take Metformin. Term starts next week. I wonder how long I'll last??

cherylle

Iv been on them for 14 years.i thought I was fine I came of them 3 years ago within 18 months I was back on them.There are some people that need to take a ant-deppresant.Im one of them am not ashamed thy keep me level headed. ;-)

sineadk

i am on citalopram 40 mgs, atenolol 50 mgs, amisulprid 50 mgs and every now and again I take a benzo. I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 so I cannot say if these drugs have affected my sugar but I do not think so. If anyone needs any advice on panic etc I am an expert :D