1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone tried juice-fasting to bring sugar readings down?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Beating-My-Betes, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Petecavo

Petecavo Type 2 · Newbie

Yes, you're correct , I did mean that juicing the food 'raises the index' by processing it before consumption (often guilty of not checking before hitting send)
    However I am genuinely interested as to how you go forward with this, I am 52 so we are not too far apart age wise and I also was getting a bit pessimistic, not living up to my younger expectations of what my health would be like at this stage in my life also.
    However I had a shocking visit to RUH Bath in March 2020 where they popped me on a ventilator and put me in an induced coma for 5 days and told my wife that it was doubtful whether Id survive the 1st 24 hrs as I succumbed to stage 3 sepsis.
    Previously I had been diabetic for years before but surviving this horrendous experience in March is what gave me the boost on discharge from hospital to stick to the low calorie and carb targets but only mainly since September October 2020 when they said my transplanted kidney from 28 years back was now struggling.
    Prior I have a long history of being a bacon sandwich & Snickers munching site carpenter, so healthy food was definitely not my natural 1st choice.
    I am absolutely amazed at how many ailments that were bugging my body have cleared up in the very short time since then and this is on top of stunning (for me) changes in my HBa1c.
    I'd normally say 'good luck' but more importantly than luck I hope you find the 'resolve' to see whatever you choose through, and good luck with that :)

#61 Petecavo, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021
  2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

These numbers (fasting mmol 18.6, 12.7) look dangerously high: please be careful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

Happy to take full responsibility for that. Sorry!

We shall see. Currently the plan is pretty loose, so quite easy to stick to. Like I said, I'm happy to take the label of optimistic. However, in the last the 15-16 years, visiting various vegan and raw-vegan health forums, long before I was diabetic, I have seen many people improve their health with high-carb, low-fat, fruit-dominant diets. In that sense, to me this is just pragmatism.

It's not so much a chosen path, but my first choice. Ultimately, the only 100% unshakable condition is that the path I go down is vegan. Years ago, when I tried animal-based keto (Not diabetic, at that time) i hated having to restrict foods I loved. vegan keto would be harder, to my mind. I also don't have any faith in the healthfulness of a high-fat, low-carb diet. That being said, if I had no alternative but to cut carbs from my diet, then I'd do vegan Keto.

Concern is great. Thanks! I'm also concerned, hence the plan to get on top of things.

When i saw the doctor, 3.5 year ago he said my blood-tests indicated pre-diabetes, and put me on Metformin. I ditched the medication after a few months, and have been unmedicated since then.
    My current weight is 118Kilos, though I've lost a couple since I started my plan. How much I will lose by Feb 23rd, I'm not too concerned. It will come off. That date is just a stage, for me. The real work will come after that. I just used it as a guide for a date when I wanted to have cut huge swathes from my BS numbers.

I won't be updating this thread unless is it to reply to people directly communicating with me. But I will be putting up the first blog, hopefully on Monday (Assuming no character limit, it will encompass the first week).

And thanks for taking the time to clarify your position. Definitely more encouraging.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Beating-My-Betes

They are indeed! Fortunately, I'm currently out of that zone.

6. Beating-My-Betes

Monday 25th, hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Beating-My-Betes

Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Sounds like you've been through the wars, and are lucky to be here.

Glad you have things under control, and thank you for your words of encouragement.

8. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thank you for your informative response to my previous posts.
    In case you are wondering why I rated your post ‘winner’ it is because I believe winners are those that don’t give up in the face of adversity or, indeed, perceived criticism and doubting response to ideas. I think you are a winning optimist.:)

I will follow your blog with interest, as I genuinely believe that there are always ‘outliers’ that do not fit the trend for the majority. I sincerely hope that you are one of them, and hope you do well.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  9. Beating-My-Betes

Thanks!

Actually, since I started out on the raw-vegan forums (turns out it was actually about 18 years ago), I have seen people reverse all kinds of conditions, including diabetes. Whether it was via juicing, fruit-dominant HC vegan diets or just 'standard' HCLF vegan diets, I've seen so many examples that for me to not succeed (Other, of course, than my compliance issues) would make me the outlier.

Anyway, let's leave it at that ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook