Anyone tried juice-fasting to bring sugar readings down?

Petecavo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
D'ya mean raise the index?

Removing the fibre has advantages and disadvantages. Essentially, the digestion is being done by the machine. As such, the juice is primed for utilisation and absorption. For anyone with insulin resistance, the hit can cause certain undesirable effects. However, these can be somewhat mitigated dependant on dosage. Where I find juice (And controversially, sugar) to be advantageous, is that because it doesn't need hours of digesting, any undesirable effects will disappear very rapidly (Again, this is dose-dependant).
On the first day, I did experience a lot of hunger at various points. However, they didn't always coincide with timing after a 'meal'. They actually coincided with the same points in the day when i normally get hungry if doing intermittent fasting and when I tried OMAD, last year.

I did break the fast, last night. Not really mentally ready to not eat. Had resolved (New year, and all that) to use a raw (fruit-heavy) vegan diet, to bring my sugars under control by the end of February. And because I failed to even manage the first week, I knee-jerked into a panicked reaction. However, in only two days I already received benefits:

I started out on 'day 1', with sugars of 18.6 (unmedicated). This is the morning of 'day 3' (technically speaking), and my sugars have dropped to 12.7. The first number is the highest I've ever seen, and actually a result of clearing out the 'pantry' before starting the fast. That was somewhat of an artificial elevation, so I'd normally have expected that number to come down. But conversely, I haven't been that low for quite a while. And that drop resulting from drinking predominantly fruit-juice (and tea with sugar). I broke the fast with a jar of chickpeas, followed by about 200g of raisins which adds about 150g of carbs on top of the two days worth of juice etc. Also lost a couple of kilos, though that'll have been mostly water.

After that meal of chickpeas and raisins I felt energised and well. I can't remember any other time, since my diagnosis, where eating a meal has left me feeling good (Aside from fruit meals, that is). And I've woken up this morning also with a ton of energy and feeling better than I have in a very long time.

Not quite sure which path to take. I'm either going to keep juicing through the day and adding a cooked meal in the evening, or going the raw-vegan route (That will also include juicing). I'm pretty sure the first is a sliding slope, in which the evening meals start getting a little too decadent as time passes :D Will see. Gonna have a nice walk and think it through.

Tracking is a good call. Will probably do the same, for a little while.

Great results, man! As you alluded to earlier, weight-loss can be a huge driver in restoring metabolic wellness. And in many case, independent of other factors. People have improved their health-markers on Mc'Donalds diets, diets of nothing but potatoes, and I'm pretty sure that the guy who lost weight on a cake diet also improved his markers. That' not to say that slim people can't end up with bad numbers, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Weight-loss is also a huge part of my plan. I've been either overweight or obese for most of my life. But I'm not prepared to either cut calories that much, or cut carbs that much. I plan to create my deficit through expenditure/exerci

It's a mental-game, really. Intermittent fasting can be good training.

Yes, you're correct , I did mean that juicing the food 'raises the index' by processing it before consumption (often guilty of not checking before hitting send)
However I am genuinely interested as to how you go forward with this, I am 52 so we are not too far apart age wise and I also was getting a bit pessimistic, not living up to my younger expectations of what my health would be like at this stage in my life also.
However I had a shocking visit to RUH Bath in March 2020 where they popped me on a ventilator and put me in an induced coma for 5 days and told my wife that it was doubtful whether Id survive the 1st 24 hrs as I succumbed to stage 3 sepsis.
Previously I had been diabetic for years before but surviving this horrendous experience in March is what gave me the boost on discharge from hospital to stick to the low calorie and carb targets but only mainly since September October 2020 when they said my transplanted kidney from 28 years back was now struggling.
Prior I have a long history of being a bacon sandwich & Snickers munching site carpenter, so healthy food was definitely not my natural 1st choice.
I am absolutely amazed at how many ailments that were bugging my body have cleared up in the very short time since then and this is on top of stunning (for me) changes in my HBa1c.
I'd normally say 'good luck' but more importantly than luck I hope you find the 'resolve' to see whatever you choose through, and good luck with that :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Beating-My-Betes

Oh dear, @Beating-My-Betes . How easily posts can be misunderstood.

Happy to take full responsibility for that. Sorry!

Oh dear, @Beating-My-BetesFirst of all, the reason I deemed a post of yours optimisic was that I really admire your optimism that the plan will work, even though I don’t share it. Whether or not you can stick to the plan, I don’t know you, so I cannot comment other than to say there is no shame in not sticking to it if you feel it is not working. I would love to be proved wrong, in my doubt that a high fruit diet will be successful way to control BG levels, and hope you can do that. Though having tried a diet high in fruit, and not much else, my experience did not have a happy outcome. In that I gained weight, and tipped into T2 diabetes. So in that respect I am not optimistic. Anecdotal evidence is all I am offering.

We shall see. Currently the plan is pretty loose, so quite easy to stick to. Like I said, I'm happy to take the label of optimistic. However, in the last the 15-16 years, visiting various vegan and raw-vegan health forums, long before I was diabetic, I have seen many people improve their health with high-carb, low-fat, fruit-dominant diets. In that sense, to me this is just pragmatism.

Oh dear, @Beating-My-BetesI know how frustrating it can be to have a belief in one’s chosen path derided, and I am certainly not of the opinion that ‘my way is the only way’. I stepped back from posting because from your early posts it appeared that you were newly diagnosed and were asking for advice on how to manage. Though it later became apparent that you had researched your methodology, and were wondering if others had experience of your chosen method. When my suggestion of vegan low carb was rejected I realized I was on the wrong track. Though,I would still think that not a bad path for you to follow I respect your right to choose your own way.

It's not so much a chosen path, but my first choice. Ultimately, the only 100% unshakable condition is that the path I go down is vegan. Years ago, when I tried animal-based keto (Not diabetic, at that time) i hated having to restrict foods I loved. vegan keto would be harder, to my mind. I also don't have any faith in the healthfulness of a high-fat, low-carb diet. That being said, if I had no alternative but to cut carbs from my diet, then I'd do vegan Keto.

Oh dear, @Beating-My-BetesThe only way for any individual to know what works for them is to try. Though I hope you can monitor closely what is happening with your blood glucose levels , and are prepared to change your plan if necessary. Although you have reduced your BG level, I would be most concerned should I have regular levels in double figures.

Concern is great. Thanks! I'm also concerned, hence the plan to get on top of things.

Oh dear, @Beating-My-BetesAs you don’t provide info regarding your diabetes type, the amount of weight you want to lose, etc, it is difficult to know what else I can offer to the topic. Other than to say that I hope you have a sustainable follow on eating plan. I believe you are sticking to the fruit plan until 23February?

When i saw the doctor, 3.5 year ago he said my blood-tests indicated pre-diabetes, and put me on Metformin. I ditched the medication after a few months, and have been unmedicated since then.
My current weight is 118Kilos, though I've lost a couple since I started my plan. How much I will lose by Feb 23rd, I'm not too concerned. It will come off. That date is just a stage, for me. The real work will come after that. I just used it as a guide for a date when I wanted to have cut huge swathes from my BS numbers.

Oh dear, @Beating-My-BetesPlease do update this thread to keep us informed of your progress. I do hope it will be a positive experience, but report either way please. Sharing info and experiences is the way to advance knowledge. I hope this is more encouraging for you. Best of luck.

I won't be updating this thread unless is it to reply to people directly communicating with me. But I will be putting up the first blog, hopefully on Monday (Assuming no character limit, it will encompass the first week).

And thanks for taking the time to clarify your position. Definitely more encouraging.

Beating-My-Betes

Yes, you're correct , I did mean that juicing the food 'raises the index' by processing it before consumption (often guilty of not checking before hitting send)
However I am genuinely interested as to how you go forward with this, I am 52 so we are not too far apart age wise and I also was getting a bit pessimistic, not living up to my younger expectations of what my health would be like at this stage in my life also.
However I had a shocking visit to RUH Bath in March 2020 where they popped me on a ventilator and put me in an induced coma for 5 days and told my wife that it was doubtful whether Id survive the 1st 24 hrs as I succumbed to stage 3 sepsis.
Previously I had been diabetic for years before but surviving this horrendous experience in March is what gave me the boost on discharge from hospital to stick to the low calorie and carb targets but only mainly since September October 2020 when they said my transplanted kidney from 28 years back was now struggling.
Prior I have a long history of being a bacon sandwich & Snickers munching site carpenter, so healthy food was definitely not my natural 1st choice.
I am absolutely amazed at how many ailments that were bugging my body have cleared up in the very short time since then and this is on top of stunning (for me) changes in my HBa1c.
I'd normally say 'good luck' but more importantly than luck I hope you find the 'resolve' to see whatever you choose through, and good luck with that :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Sounds like you've been through the wars, and are lucky to be here.

Glad you have things under control, and thank you for your words of encouragement.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 25th, hopefully.
Thank you for your informative response to my previous posts.
In case you are wondering why I rated your post ‘winner’ it is because I believe winners are those that don’t give up in the face of adversity or, indeed, perceived criticism and doubting response to ideas. I think you are a winning optimist.:)

I will follow your blog with interest, as I genuinely believe that there are always ‘outliers’ that do not fit the trend for the majority. I sincerely hope that you are one of them, and hope you do well.

Beating-My-Betes

Thank you for your informative response to my previous posts.
In case you are wondering why I rated your post ‘winner’ it is because I believe winners are those that don’t give up in the face of adversity or, indeed, perceived criticism and doubting response to ideas. I think you are a winning optimist.:)

Thanks!

I will follow your blog with interest, as I genuinely believe that there are always ‘outliers’ that do not fit the trend for the majority. I sincerely hope that you are one of them, and hope you do well.

Actually, since I started out on the raw-vegan forums (turns out it was actually about 18 years ago), I have seen people reverse all kinds of conditions, including diabetes. Whether it was via juicing, fruit-dominant HC vegan diets or just 'standard' HCLF vegan diets, I've seen so many examples that for me to not succeed (Other, of course, than my compliance issues) would make me the outlier.

Anyway, let's leave it at that ;)