Anyone tried Newcastle diet

Db2213

And did it work? I have been reading Roy Taylor’s work and I find it interesting that those who followed this diet and lost weight reversed or cured their diabetes because of a fat build up in the pancreas. I’m fat everywhere so probably in my pancreas to. And by doing this do you normalize your blood sugar levels temporarily or do you cure them I guess as I’m eating high sugar meals and not get a spike?

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And did it work? I have been reading Roy Taylor’s work and I find it interesting that those who followed this diet and lost weight reversed or cured their diabetes because of a fat build up in the pancreas. I’m fat everywhere so probably in my pancreas to. And by doing this do you normalize your blood sugar levels temporarily or do you cure them I guess as I’m eating high sugar meals and not get a spike?
A few I think on here have done these sorts of diets and it has helped them. So it can be an option but should be medically supervised

Personally I don't think it's so clear cut in all cases. I lost weight via an alternative route and am in remission, however carbs will and do spike my blood sugars into diabetic levels. Losing the weight can work for some but it's a lifetime change regardless.

Crash diets and rapid weight loss are often not sustained. Weight loss can be temporary as people fall back into their old routines. But if it's a change you want to get you that impetus to change, then it might be an option

It's also not sugar, carbs is the impact. Sugars are just fast acting carbs. For me for example things like fish and chips will spike and leave sustained for a lot longer. Sugars like cakes will spike fast and hard but generally drop back to normal levels 2 hours after

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a subset of obese T2s that can normalise their BG through significant weight loss.
The weight loss is required to remove the visceral fat from the liver & pancreas.
It cannot however be guaranteed to work for everyone.
Their are many pathways to T2 & visceral fat is only one of them.

The author of the Direct Study, which used the Newcastle Diet, was clear that that the weight loss was essential no matter how it was achieved.
You may find that low carb is the key to normalising your BG with weight loss an added benefit.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm no expert. but started the Newcastle Diet a week ago from today, and have lost 6 lbs, which makes me want to continue with it. I've followed a low carb diet for two to three years and not lost weight and my energy levels have been low. Recently, my blood glucose readings have also risen, hence trying the Newcastle Diet. The ND Diet is not easy. I have felt hungry on it, and not slept well, but seeing the weight reduce has given me the impetus to stay on it to see if it will reduce more weight and improve blood glucose readings.

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooooo I’m keen to know what the Newcastle diet involves. I’ll Google it now….I’ve just been doing low carb, fasting and exercise and it’s brought my sugars down.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Yes. It worked for me losing 16kg and returning my levels to normal in eight weeks. I was obese at the time and it was hard work with fantastic results for me. It is however in my opinion an intervention and needs to be followed with a diet plan such as lowish carb/calories.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMO it is like going to Boot Camp - a short sharp shock that is not totally pleasant while doing it, but it can set you up for a better future. I believe it achieved around 48% remission (aka success) but follow-ups show that the effect does decline and is not a permanent fix. You do need to consider a diet plan for the maintenance stages after the course completion.

It is another tool in the diabetes toolkit, but it is the apres-ski following that can undo it all. It is only a diet, so the word cure does not really apply.

As has been pointed out, it only attacks one symptom of T2D, namely fat deposits in the liver and pancreas. It does not seem to repair other insulin resistance conditions.

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
Many NHS divisions are now offering this type of diet programme under different names, but in my local area at least they restrict access to higher BMI individuals, and they want to see proof you can lose weight without it to show you are worth the effort. I planned to go on this and had discussed with my GP: but ended up losing so much weight on low carb that I fell below the BMI threshold and stopped being eligible.

The benefit seems to come from losing 15 kg/ >10% of body weight in around 6 months, and the route by which this achieved doesn't seem to matter.

Db2213

IMO it is like going to Boot Camp - a short sharp shock that is not totally pleasant while doing it, but it can set you up for a better future. I believe it achieved around 48% remission (aka success) but follow-ups show that the effect does decline and is not a permanent fix. You do need to consider a diet plan for the maintenance stages after the course completion.

It is another tool in the diabetes toolkit, but it is the apres-ski following that can undo it all. It is only a diet, so the word cure does not really apply.

As has been pointed out, it only attacks one symptom of T2D, namely fat deposits in the liver and pancreas. It does not seem to repair other insulin resistance conditions.

but this doesn’t cure it right? I’m the book he talks of this diet can be a cure.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but this doesn’t cure it right? I’m the book he talks of this diet can be a cure.
There are people in this world who claim that the world is flat and that the moon is made of cream cheese. There are some who believe them. But the evidence does not support the claim. Certainly, ND has had some success in putting some T2D into remission, but like cancer, remission is not a cure. There are many reports on this forum from people who gained remission using this diet, but who then return later admitting they have relapsed. Or they are having to do it again. The reliance on having to maintain the weight loss implies a continuous need for intervention of some sort or other, so cure is not a word that should be used for this diet plan.

Db2213

There are people in this world who claim that the world is flat and that the moon is made of cream cheese. There are some who believe them. But the evidence does not support the claim. Certainly, ND has had some success in putting some T2D into remission, but like cancer, remission is not a cure. There are many reports on this forum from people who gained remission using this diet, but who then return later admitting they have relapsed. Or they are having to do it again. The reliance on having to maintain the weight loss implies a continuous need for intervention of some sort or other, so cure is not a word that should be used for this diet plan.
I understand. But can those people have a coke and a candy without their blood sugar going through the roof? Once they lost the weight.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand. But can those people have a coke and a candy without their blood sugar going through the roof? Once they lost the weight.

The answer is probably no, although responders to Taylor's Direct Trial recovered their 2nd phase insulin response to near non-diabetic levels their 1st phase response only recovered to about 50% of a non-diabetic cohort.

Bigger question would be how do most the general public respond to full sugar Coke & candy, probably not too well. Remember <20% of the population are metabolically healthy because of what's happened to the food industry in the past 50 years.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The answer is probably no, although responders to Taylor's Direct Trial recovered their 2nd phase insulin response to near non-diabetic levels their 1st phase response only recovered to about 50% of a non-diabetic cohort.

Bigger question would be how do most the general public respond to full sugar Coke & candy, probably not too well. Remember <20% of the population are metabolically healthy because of what's happened to the food industry in the past 50 years.
I remember the C4 TV prog I'm a doctor Trust me, where they gave nondiabetics a diet soda to drink and measured their sugar levels before and after. Many of those taking the test spiked. Then the doctor (Dr. Michael Mosley, I believe) placed a pile of sugar cubes next to the empty glass to show how much sugar was in the drink. It was a TV drama moment but not too removed from reality. The main difference is that the general public does not do blood sugar testing, so we do not know what is now 'normal'. In my parents' day, they did not have bgl meters so were also in blissful ignorance. Mind you in my grandparents' day CocaCola contained cocaine.