Anyone tried plantain?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I was lurking round an Asian grocer's in Aylesbury last week and I found some plantain. Now since I don't eat bananas much any more, I wondered if these might be less sugary. In the past I have boiled them in their skins, then served them in hearty chunks on the edge of a curry. Because I wanted to up the fat content to offset the likely sugar, I fried raw slices in olive oil for a couple of minutes on each side. My portion was 125g, (which Carbs and Cals estimate at 60g carbs), and I ate it with a large avocado and mayo.
Put your hand up if you think my blood sugar levels went up after 2 hours...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Last time I tried plantains they made my blood glucose go up.

Did you have green ones or ripe ones?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Aw, plantain! One of those foods I gaze at wistfully these days...

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will be very interested in the answer - according to the Paleo crowd, plantains are very high in resistant starch so supposedly shouldn't raise BG too much. I always find having Type 2 can throw a spanner in the works though - food high in resistant starch seems to raise my BG just as much as ordinary starch.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK Thanks to all. You may put down your hands. Suffice to say I haven't had a 2hr post-lunch reading of 8 like that for several months now. But it was gorgeous!
I now have one slightly bruised green plantain I'm selling on eBay...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My parentage is Jamaican, so this was one of my previous staples...I miss these so much. If I could choose between chocolate, ice cream, cakes, even sticky toffee pudding plantain would win every time. For me this is like an Italian not having access to pasta. I console myself with variety in LCHF.

rad89

One night I was on a call and accidentally finished a plantain desert ( moderately ripe Plantain (190gms after removing skin) lightly fried with Ghee (10g fat) and 10g sugar .) after salad dinner salad and 130g of mozzarella. basically I had 75g of carb. I was bit worried about sugar level. (If I eat banana my sugar goes through the roof (200+ easily).) But after eating my sugar stayed steady and had a very good night sleep. morning sugar was below 100.

I repeated one more time next day and process repeated and same result !! But puzzled why it works !!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can it really be two years since that plantain? I can still taste it...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a plantain crisp over the weekend.
Insignificant bg impact (good job I didn’t eat more than one...)

Apparently it was ‘healthy’ because it was fried in palm oil. Not sure how that works.

I’m content not to eat another. :D The salt and vinegar flavour, combined with the plantain was a little weird. o_O

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife eats these quite a bit. They are not at all like bananas. She microwaves here. She tends to buy them when the skin is black.

She buys them in any or most of the Asian stores locally.

I don’t like them at all though.

veggietummy

[/QUOTE]
You may have plaintains as a diabetic if you follow these guidelines to reduce their impact on your blood glucose.
"This multi country authored article discusses the nutritional and culinary qualities of plantains. It discusses how to consume the fruit in a glucose-safe manner, by reducing the glycaemic load and total caloric load due to a low glycaemic index. Simple ways of modifying plantain preparation and serving are suggested, to help patients take this foodstuff without impacting glucose control." see pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31622319/
and
jpma.org.pk/article-details/9363?article_id=9363