Anyone tried pre-inserting the dexcom g7 by more than 12 hours?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I've been using the g7 for about 6 months, and really like its feature whereby you get a grace period of 12 hours when a sensor expires. I usually insert my new sensor then and activate when the grace period dies. So that means I end up pre-inserting by just under 12 hours. But recently when I tried inserting it more than 12 hours before I activated it, I got an immediate sensor fail on start up.

So I want to know whether this is a coincidence or not. Does anyone have experience? (And when you activate the sensor it regards itself as started whenever you first inserted it, so activating more than 12 hours early means that you end up with less than 10 days use from the sensor, even with the extra 12 hours grace period.)

Any feedback gratefully received.

Reactions: Antje77

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
The issue with the g7 is it activates in insertion. There is a magnet in the inserter that when the sensor leaves it activates

So yes you could pre insert, but you'll lose that time period from the sensor life

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
The issue with the g7 is it activates in insertion. There is a magnet in the inserter that when the sensor leaves it activates

So yes you could pre insert, but you'll lose that time period from the sensor life
That's not a problem, my issue is that I find it quite often it reads seriously low for the first 24 hours, and dexcom don't like you to calibrate for that period.
So I'd prefer to lose the 12 hours and insert it 24 hours before the end of the grace period of the previous sensor, but the only time I inserted it that early it failed before start up....

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
are you on a pump?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wonder if starting the sensor on another/old phone would help with this, then when started turn that device off, then when ready put the transmitter number in the everyday phone?? i know it would work on the G6 but ive only used a single g7

• Creative
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
I wonder if starting the sensor on another/old phone would help with this, then when started turn that device off, then when ready put the transmitter number in the everyday phone?? i know it would work on the G6 but ive only used a single g7
You're using the G6 with your pump?

How do you put the transmitter number in for the G6?