Anyone using a separate phone for their Libre?

MimB

I have been accepted for the Freestyle Libre but my phone is apparently not compatible even though it is an Android level 9 and the recommended list I was sent as got "old" phones on according to the mobile rep.
Does anyone use a separate phone for their Libre?

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I’m not particularly techie, was just lucky it worked with my iPhone!

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GO FOR THE READER LOT MOE EASY TO USE IE WHEN WALKING

PHONE OPEN UP GO TO APP THEN SCAN 3 MOVES

READER SWITCH ON SCAN EASY 2 MOVES DONE
VIC

Reactions: jonathan183

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been accepted for the Freestyle Libre but my phone is apparently not compatible even though it is an Android level 9 and the recommended list I was sent as got "old" phones on according to the mobile rep.
My phone (a cheap Samsung A12) works just fine with the Libre so I have no need for a separate phone.
But it makes sense to me to use a different phone for the Libre if yours doesn't work with it.
Likely no need to buy a phone, worth asking around with friends if someone has a forgotten old phone you can use. I keep my ancient Samsung S3 Mini especially in the case my phone breaks or gets lost because it works well with Libre.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My phone didn’t appear to be listed but worked. Dig a bit deeper before you fork out for a new one. As far as I know it just needs near field tech which most have had for the last 5 yrs or more. Any list will have omissions. Which phone is it?.

• Agree
Reactions: nutribolt

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Samsung phone isn't listed but it works fine.
Give your phone a try

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello,

This is just a thought.. If you have been given funding for the Libre, that would be the “Libre2.”
Now there is an anticipated “Libre 3” on the cards. (But not for a while in the UK, yet..

The app is available for the MKiii. Here comes the silly question.. You haven’t been attempting to download the Libre 3 app by mistake, have you?

• Agree
Reactions: nutribolt

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If its Android 9 on your phone it should work so long as phone has NFC on it.To check if your phone has NFC capabilities, just do the following:

Go to Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> More... Here, you will see an option for NFC, if your phone supports it.

If the option isn’t there, your phone does not have NFC capabilities.

If you do have NFC and its disabled, enable it. Then restart for good measure and try scanning libre. Hopefully it will work.

sgm14

but my phone is apparently not compatible even though it is an Android level 9 and the recommended list I was sent as got "old" phones on according to the mobile rep.

I think the 'compatible' list is just phones that Abbott happen to have tested, but does not mean that only those phones work. I have never seen my phone on the any list, yet it works fine. (There are supposed to be ten of thousands of different android phone variations and I don't think it is feasible for Abbott to test them all).

MimB

Thank you everybody for your replies
I cannot actually download the app and I do not have NFC supported on my phone (I had to look that one up !) but the trial paperwork gave me the option of ordering a reader so that's what I've done. Actually I've realised that might be a really good solution because if I'm using my phone or it's locked away in a desk at work at least I have my reader available immediately and it's accessible to anybody that needs to do a reading for me who won't know how to unlock my phone.

Reactions: EJTC and johen

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everybody for your replies
I cannot actually download the app and I do not have NFC supported on my phone (I had to look that one up !) but the trial paperwork gave me the option of ordering a reader so that's what I've done. Actually I've realised that might be a really good solution because if I'm using my phone or it's locked away in a desk at work at least I have my reader available immediately and it's accessible to anybody that needs to do a reading for me who won't know how to unlock my phone.
I think that a reader is a good option.

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate using my phone for everything too. I have to turn on, unlock with fingerprint or pattern, click the app then scan. In the middle of the night that's a pain too. I keep the meter under my pillow and can check with one button on then scan, which I can do virtually asleep! Phone use goes up n up. App for everything, 2 factor authentication, etc etc I have a real love/hate relationship with my phone...

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love using my phone for everything. It saves me from having another small item to lose.
With xDrip, I get my readings on my Lick Screen with no need to scan or unlock my phone.
But I appreciate it is not for everyone.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used the reader for years, but eventually got a new phone and am loving been able to use that. I can use it in my sleep just as easily as the reader. It uses face recognition.
Just a heads up, when Libre 3 finally filters through there will be no reader, phone only, and at this time still not compatible with an I phone. I have a freebie which I am itching to try, but still unable to do so 6 months after receiving it following a trial.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a heads up, when Libre 3 finally filters through there will be no reader, phone only

There is a reader for Libre 3.

I'm in Germany and have a reader for my Libre 3.

The reader wasn't available when Libre 3 was first released here last year (at the time it was app-only), but the Libre 3 reader came out a few months ago.

The UK seems to be a few months or a year behind Germany on the rollout, but assuming the UK follows Germany's path, the Libre 3 reader should be available at some point in the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: MrsA2

Marion52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my phone isn't compatible either and its android level 11. They told me to order Freestyle Libre A5X which I have got and it gives you a phone to download the app and to use it with. Hope this helps

Marion52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my phone wasn't compatible either and it's an android level 11. I was told to order Freestyle Libre A5X which includes a phone to download the app and use it which I have got. Hope this helps

JGLondon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke culture!
I have an iPhone SE and the App won't work on that, but to honest I am not particularly worried - I take readings a dozen or so times a day, the Libre 2 has the warning alarms and I upload regularly to see all the statistical stuff and keep my medical team up to date.