Anyone using the Novopen Echo (as a grown up)

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi everyone,

I recently went back from pump to injection and i am doing a lot better. I am using the normal flexpen but i cant micro dose with it, You have to inject a whole unit. I suppose i was spoiled with the pump which can micro dose with 0,1 unit. At this moment i am using the app MySugr to keep track on my amounts of insulin injected but when it gets busy at work sometimes how much i injected slips my mind. I saw there is a pen from Novo Nordisk that does 0.5 unit as well and remembers what dossis you took previously but it seems it was designed for kids. Anyone of the grown ups here using this pen? If not but you recognise this issue what pen are you using? I am on levemir and novorapid.

Love to hear from you.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I recently went back from pump to injection and i am doing a lot better. I am using the normal flexpen but i cant micro dose with it, You have to inject a whole unit. I suppose i was spoiled with the pump which can micro dose with 0,1 unit. At this moment i am using the app MySugr to keep track on my amounts of insulin injected but when it gets busy at work sometimes how much i injected slips my mind. I saw there is a pen from Novo Nordisk that does 0.5 unit as well and remembers what dossis you took previously but it seems it was designed for kids. Anyone of the grown ups here using this pen? If not but you recognise this issue what pen are you using? I am on levemir and novorapid.

Love to hear from you.

Yep, I have ever since I switched back from pump to MDI! Got my GP to prescribe it for me. I use it for both my Novorapid and Levemir (but don't need it on Levemir - only have it because it's the only pen on my repeat prescription!). I use it all the time, my ratio for meals is 1:8 so being able to break it down to the nearest 4 is a lifesaver.

maria030660

Dislikes
Dear Levy,

Why did you return to injections? Myself all of a sudden spiralled out of control for no reason. Went back to pens and it was back to normal within no time.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the pump but keep a pen for emergencies. Until recently, this was a half unit Novo Junior Pen which they stopped manufacturing some time ago, and was definitely for kids. I now have the Echo but haven't needed to use it yet (thankfully). It just looks like a normal insulin pen but is perhaps a little bit wider than my previous pen. I don't know if the one unit pens are just as wide. I believe this is the only half unit pen available but could be wrong.

maria030660

Dislikes
Yes i couldn't detect another pen other then the Echo

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Levy,

Why did you return to injections? Myself all of a sudden spiralled out of control for no reason. Went back to pens and it was back to normal within no time.

Personally, I did not get on with it due to me being ridiculously sensitive to rapid acting insulin during exercise - it makes me drop like a rock. Exercise is a HUGE part of my life (I am a martial artist and go to the gym several times a week as well). With the pump, on the basal rate alone I would need an entire bottle of Lucozade to get me through a training session, OR put a lowered temporary basal on at least two hours beforehand.

As I can't always pre-plan when and how long I want to train, this just wasn't viable for me. Now I'm back on injections, as long as I have no Novorapid active in my system, just the Levemir keeps me perfectly stable throughout my training without the need for extra carbs or a huge amount of pre-planning.

Did you ever find out what made you spiral out of control? How are you finding it back on injections?

maria030660

Dislikes
No idea, my consultant and I have been scratching our heads as i was always well controlled. The latest theory is i might be now i get older that just novorapid isnt going to do the trick anymore but need something like a levemir to keep me going. I feel better too now I am on injections.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the echo due to establishing that a full unit was too much as a correction dose, personally I love it :) x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting thread. I too have problems with correction doses, especially in the middle of the night. Would love 1/2 doses.

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using a 1/2 unit pen for both tresiba and novorapid (luckily in different coloured pens) - dsn at hospital supplied both.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an Echo also for more precise dosing with half units only with my bolus insulin. Like @kaylz91 sometimes a full unit is too much of a correction for me.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Love my Echo pens........use them for both types of insulin........half unit ability is especially useful for the correction doses........the dose taken and when thingy is handy if your forgetful like me...........I blame old age for that..........:nailbiting:

maria030660

Dislikes
Same here Satindoll, but these gadgets are handy to remind us;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using mine for 4 years now and it's great. Why do you think it's for children?

maria030660

Dislikes
Novo Nordisk refers to this pen on their website that it is for kids.

maria030660

Dislikes
see below
upload_2017-10-10_11-57-24.png

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use flexipens but I'm interested in the echo for half units as I'm on a LC diet. Just wondering can you get the pen and the inevitable spare through the NHS or do you need to buy them yourself?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally children require smaller amount of insulin, so the manufacturer aims it's 'sales' pitch obviously at its intended target (parents!). That's all, the NHS don't distinguish age as far as echo pens go - rightly so it is based on clinical need.