aplying for a new job

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all ive just been given my 4 weeks notice as we dont have the kids in the pre school for all the staff, my question is do i say i am t1 on application form if not how do i mention to them i am t1. thank you in advance x

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it does not change how you do a job, you don't mention it unless asked.

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Most jobs will have some kind of medical form or ask about disabilities, you should put it down on the medical form and as a disability. If you don't say have a hypo while at work they could just fire you and you'll have no nothing to support you.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you shouldn't need to mention it at application stage......unless there are health and safety issues......

I didn't mention it 7 years ago and only a handful of my colleagues know I am diabetic.......

I personally feel in complete control of the diabetes, when I am high, low, what I eat etc....no one needs to know or contribute....at least at this stage of my life...

Reactions: Natt

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how it works there, but I seem to recall that before I started my US government job I had to get a doctor's statement that said I was healthy enough to work in my capacity. I had an endocrinologist do the exam (7 yrs ago, last time I saw her lol). So they knew about diabetes but they cannot "discriminate" against a diabetic at all. Sure, if you couldn't walk without a can you couldn't be a policeman or if you can't see you can't be a driver. But taking insulin makes no difference in how you do your job as a physician. Right?

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How import it is to mention will depend a lot on the job and how much you care about the potential to get fired for not mentioning it. No it shouldn't make a difference to how you perform your job. But we all need to test regularly, which may or may not affect your ability to do your job. If you have a hypo it might not really affect things, but if you have a bad one for some reason it might take you a good half an hour to recover from it.

Various jobs might require risk assessments around it and as easy as it is to say it shouldn't affect your job. It can and at some point most likely will affect it to some degree.

Plus diabetes counts as a disability as far as the disability discrimination act is concerned.

Jason_Avoneg

Personally I've not officially told my employee, but just said if it seems like I'm a blubbering mess or randomly stuffing my face with sweets it's because of diabeeeetus.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Not sure where you are based but where I am diabetes is classed as a protected condition under law. This means that you don't have to mention it on your application or even at interview. If you're lucky enough to get the job then your employer should send you for an occupational health assessment before your start date. You have to mention it there. They can't fire you because of the condition and as long as the health professional doing the health assessment is happy that you are capable of doing the job safely, then the employer has to make reasonable adjustment for you I.e allow you time out to check BG and eat if required.

Also just a quick comment on what other people have been posting. Although I understand that it is entirely your own choice whether you tell you work colleagues that you have diabetes, I think it would be wise to do so. If you're having a hyper or particularly a hypo it's comforting to know that the people around you will know how to deal with the situation if you physically can't.

Nathaliecolette