Appalling Advice from my GP!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As my health board is changing everyone to cheaper pen needles and lancets, I had a meeting with the community pharmacist at my GP practice. She said that needles and lancets should NOT be re-used (so that was good!)
However, she did try to prescribe me 28G lancets. I pointed out that I was using 30G ones at the moment and didn't want to change to thicker ones. She had to check online to confirm that the lower the gauge, the thicker the lancet!

Reactions: 2 people

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Holy mother. My DN would hit the roof of she heard my gp doing this. First rule I was taught, never reuse, ever. It's not just a case of hygiene but more so a case of the fact that we're diabetics and as cliché as it sounds, one wrong move would well be the last... it's unfortunately not a light one to be able to get wrong in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
And what about changing lancets after every finger prick test? Something which is also recommended...

I like to celebrate my annual lancet change, it's something of a special occasion for me and my finger pricker:)

Grant

Snap...I'm awful for doing this too!

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently have an abscess on my tummy where I inject. I was reusing occasionally but now only when doing 2 injections (long and short acting at the same time)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And what about changing lancets after every finger prick test? Something which is also recommended...

I like to celebrate my annual lancet change, it's something of a special occasion for me and my finger pricker:)

Grant
OH ******. I remember what those little blue thing's at the back of the diabetic draw are now. Thanks @GrantGam1337 :):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: 6 people

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told 5 months ago never to use any needles twice. I did use just one a day (3 or 4) times but ended up with very sore bruising. I was told to use a new needle to prevent this and issues with the puncture site as well as reducing the risk of infection. Whilst I appreciate the experiences of the past things it is recognised that multi use of needles opens people up to the risk of infection. Cost is the issue as ever.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never reuse needles. I was taught that it does increase your risk of infection, and also that it may be more painful as the needles get blunt. At the moment I have a strict correction plan that involves many extra injections every day, so I want them to be as painless and risk free as possible. My stomach has already had enough damage from the extra shots!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've been type1 for over 54 years and always reused needles and I have never had a infected site.

I had an infected tummy area in 2002, went to my sisters for a few days (after our mum had just passed away) and it got bigger and more painful, had to go sisters GP, twice. Not nice at the time. I use a new needle about 98% of the time.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

I have said this before but here it is again
Some people who smoke might never get lung cancer, it doesn't mean you should smoke as some have smoked 40 years with out problems.
There is lots of people who reused needles and lancets who have had problems and as a diabetic you may have problems with healing.

Reactions: 4 people

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reuse my needles and the only adverse effect I have experienced is it tends to hurt more the more it's used...BUT given that they are single use needles coupled with the fact that I have also been told to change each time (I appreciate this wasn't necessarily the case for everyone but it was what I was told) your GP shouldn't have an issue prescribing them.

My GP had an issue with the amount of testing strips I asked for recently as I have been testing way more than I was previously and I had to get my DSN to write to my GP before it was sorted...maybe you could try that?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel a bit better for my post now. To be honest I was feeling a little silly for making an issue but it looks like there are some like minded people out there that think the reuse of needles is not okay.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I feel a bit better for my post now. To be honest I was feeling a little silly for making an issue but it looks like there are some like minded people out there that think the reuse of needles is not okay.

Hi @Della82, did you get the chance to speak with your DSN today and if so what did they say?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Holy mother. My DN would hit the roof of she heard my gp doing this. First rule I was taught, never reuse, ever. It's not just a case of hygiene but more so a case of the fact that we're diabetics and as cliché as it sounds, one wrong move would well be the last... it's unfortunately not a light one to be able to get wrong in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

It might be best practice to change every time, but in reality it makes virtually no difference. One wrong move could be our last if you are not paying attention crossing the road but not reusing your needles. It's important to take one's diabetes seriously but I also think we should all try not to be drama queens about it either. Changing or not changing your needles is a very first world problem.

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It might be best practice to change every time, but in reality it makes virtually no difference. One wrong move could be our last if you are not paying attention crossing the road but not reusing your needles. It's important to take one's diabetes seriously but I also think we should all try not to be drama queens about it either. Changing or not changing your needles is a very first world problem.
I agree that changing your needles may not be a massive deal, but I personally find it disconcerting when I am told one thing by one health care professional and then given conflicting advice from another.

This may just be me and my insecurities but each time I am given conflicting advice it makes me lose just a little bit of faith in the care/support I am getting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Della82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Della82, did you get the chance to speak with your DSN today and if so what did they say?
I had a reply from my DN today.
As I expected, I had been given incorrect advice from my gp & she has had to write up an incident report to ensure the gp is given more teaching on the importance of a new needle for every insulin injection.

My needle prescription is now at 200 every 4 weeks .

Reactions: 8 people

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I'm prescribed BD micro-fine ultra pen needles. It clearly states on the box "Do not reuse" with the symbol for the number 2 crossed out - this symbol also appears on each needle. Perhaps it's a scam by the manufacturer to sell more, but why risk it?

It was a while ago, but I recall my DSN warning me not to reuse needles; partly because it blunts them (leading to pain) and partly because skin cells and surface bacteria cling to the needle, increasing the risk of infection.

I appreciate we have a responsibility not to waste NHS resources, but it may be a false economy if we end up needing treatment for an infection. In addition, I can't imagine I'd enjoy injecting myself with a blunt needle five times a day (not that it's much fun now!).

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm prescribed BD micro-fine ultra pen needles. It clearly states on the box "Do not reuse" with the symbol for the number 2 crossed out - this symbol also appears on each needle. Perhaps it's a scam by the manufacturer to sell more, but why risk it?

It was a while ago, but I recall my DSN warning me not to reuse needles; partly because it blunts them (leading to pain) and partly because skin cells and surface bacteria cling to the needle, increasing the risk of infection.

I appreciate we have a responsibility not to waste NHS resources, but it may be a false economy if we end up needing treatment for an infection. In addition, I can't imagine I'd enjoy injecting myself with a blunt needle five times a day (not that it's much fun now!).

Then be thankful that you live where you do and get the needles for free and in plentiful supply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting as I am type 2 taking lantus once a day I have always had disposable needles and always use a new one every time as instructed!!!!