Apparently I am cured!!!!

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
***LONG RANT ALERT*** So our GP practice was always great, about 6 month ago it was decided that our practice needed to be merged with another surgery due to numbers of patients. Since then I have had problems with prescriptions every time. They have gone missing, things missed off or they claim I never requested them not to mention that they keep taking my vital T1 meds off repeat. Anyway fast forward to this week. Thursday I put the repeat request in for my Novorapid, test strips, needles and fastclik lancets. It takes 48 hours at our practice so I am due to pick them up Monday. I got home yesterday to find a letter from the GP surgery explaining that 'latest clinical guidelines' state to be prescribed blood monitoring equipment, test strips etc you need to be prescribed insulin, on anti diabetes meds or have a diabetes management plan to qualify. They are 'pleased' to inform me that as I do not fit into these categories I no longer need to test my blood and all related prescriptions have been removed from me. I tried calling them as soon as I read this, they had their phones off so I could not even leave a message! I had to go to the practice, they looked on the system and said yes the test strips have been removed, could see on the system I am type 1 INSULIN DEPENDENT but can't undo this action without finding out why this was done. They wouldn't confirm or deny if the insulin and everything else was also removed and couldn't say if I will get all items requested on Mon. They said they would call me back later in the day. I have not had a call!!!!!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Funnily enough I am in a similar situation. I went to collect my repeat prescription for strips yesterday, to only find 50. I had recently asked surgery to increase from 150/scrip to 300.
So March along to sugary, receptionist says yes 50 is what Dr signed off. So I open the pack to get the repeat out again to order more as 50 will not last very long to discover that test strips are no longer on it!
Waiting for Dr to phone me on Monday. Receptionist asked if I could go in on Monday but I'm at work so a call is better even though I would love to do a face to face rant!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Wow, that is just beyond words.

Not surprised no one called back.

That's just unbelievable. I'd be furious at the level of neglect. Not sure who you can contact to issue a complaint with, but I'd look into it.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a diabetic nurse or endo consultant you could contact to put a bit of pressure on the GP?

Obviously, they are going against NICE guidelines, so it might be worth waving NG 17 under their nose, it provides that adults with type 1 should be supported to test at least 4 times a day, and up to 10 times a day if hypo unaware, pregnant or ill - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

And there's also the DVLA requirements if you drive that you need to test per driving and every two hours during a drive.

There is a Diabetes UK advocacy pack for people having problems with strip prescription - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/migration/pdf/1092C_Test_strips_advocacy%20report_WEB.pdf

And there's a letter from the Department of Health from 2013 which warns GPs against restricting access to test strips for type 1s - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Good luck getting it sorted.

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah, furious doesn't even cover it. To top it off my parents have just called me, they are type 2 and have always tested but always had to battle to get prescriptions for test strips. They got letters today from same GP practice congratulating them on now qualifying to get new meters and that they now recommend they self test at least twice a day!

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Funnily enough I am in a similar situation. I went to collect my repeat prescription for strips yesterday, to only find 50. I had recently asked surgery to increase from 150/scrip to 300.
So March along to sugary, receptionist says yes 50 is what Dr signed off. So I open the pack to get the repeat out again to order more as 50 will not last very long to discover that test strips are no longer on it!
Waiting for Dr to phone me on Monday. Receptionist asked if I could go in on Monday but I'm at work so a call is better even though I would love to do a face to face rant!
Yeah had that fight to had to get the hospital to point out that 50 strips last me about a week!

Reactions: dbr10 and Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
***LONG RANT ALERT*** So our GP practice was always great, about 6 month ago it was decided that our practice needed to be merged with another surgery due to numbers of patients. Since then I have had problems with prescriptions every time. They have gone missing, things missed off or they claim I never requested them not to mention that they keep taking my vital T1 meds off repeat. Anyway fast forward to this week. Thursday I put the repeat request in for my Novorapid, test strips, needles and fastclik lancets. It takes 48 hours at our practice so I am due to pick them up Monday. I got home yesterday to find a letter from the GP surgery explaining that 'latest clinical guidelines' state to be prescribed blood monitoring equipment, test strips etc you need to be prescribed insulin, on anti diabetes meds or have a diabetes management plan to qualify. They are 'pleased' to inform me that as I do not fit into these categories I no longer need to test my blood and all related prescriptions have been removed from me. I tried calling them as soon as I read this, they had their phones off so I could not even leave a message! I had to go to the practice, they looked on the system and said yes the test strips have been removed, could see on the system I am type 1 INSULIN DEPENDENT but can't undo this action without finding out why this was done. They wouldn't confirm or deny if the insulin and everything else was also removed and couldn't say if I will get all items requested on Mon. They said they would call me back later in the day. I have not had a call!!!!!!
Got to be a joke or they are complete jokers!

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you got a diabetic nurse or endo consultant you could contact to put a bit of pressure on the GP?

Obviously, they are going against NICE guidelines, so it might be worth waving NG 17 under their nose, it provides that adults with type 1 should be supported to test at least 4 times a day, and up to 10 times a day if hypo unaware, pregnant or ill - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

And there's also the DVLA requirements if you drive that you need to test per driving and every two hours during a drive.

There is a Diabetes UK advocacy pack for people having problems with strip prescription - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/migration/pdf/1092C_Test_strips_advocacy%20report_WEB.pdf

And there's a letter from the Department of Health from 2013 which warns GPs against restricting access to test strips for type 1s - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Good luck getting it sorted.
Yeah, I am going to call my diabetes team at hospital on Monday I know my nurse will rip them new A holes when I tell her!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What is going on?

I was told by dietician that my gp practice bounced back a quest to say I was no longer at a their practice. REALLY. I wonder who I've been visiting then for months on years? Ha ha

This makes @ally1 's complaint look tiny... But definitely isnt.
She has sorted her practice nonsense out. Maybe contact her and she has freshly gone through terrible nonsense and came out of the other side. Hopefully.

Horror stories really, really get me hugely annoyed. They don't realise the ramifications on us. Idiots!

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All GP surgery's have practice managers who deal with the running of the surgery. Contact them.
Reading your post I would be guessing they have mixed you up with another patient as you are on Novorapid.
I believe NICE recommendations are that if there is a risk of a hypo from a medicine (i.e insulin) then BG meters can be prescribed. Its people on Metformin that usually have this problem

Reactions: dbr10

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All GP surgery's have practice managers who deal with the running of the surgery. Contact them.
Reading your post I would be guessing they have mixed you up with another patient as you are on Novorapid.
I believe NICE recommendations are that if there is a risk of a hypo from a medicine (i.e insulin) then BG meters can be prescribed. Its people on Metformin that usually have this problem
Yeah, since we merged there is no info on who practice manager is and don't get a straight answer when you ask who this is and ''they aren't available" when you ask to see one.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is absolutely appalling.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is going on?

I was told by dietician that my gp practice bounced back a quest to say I was no longer at a their practice. REALLY. I wonder who I've been visiting then for months on years? Ha ha

This makes @ally1 's complaint look tiny... But definitely isnt.
She has sorted her practice nonsense out. Maybe contact her and she has freshly gone through terrible nonsense and came out of the other side. Hopefully.

Horror stories really, really get me hugely annoyed. They don't realise the ramifications on us. Idiots!
And don't care, of course.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, since we merged there is no info on who practice manager is and don't get a straight answer when you ask who this is and ''they aren't available" when you ask to see one.
At my surgery they hide who it is too.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surely they must have an acting practice manager even if its the receptionist!! Who opens the building on a morning?

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Surely they must have an acting practice manager even if its the receptionist!! Who opens the building on a morning?
Receptionist was the one who promised to get it sorted and get me a call back as the practice manager was 'not there' yet again.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
All thier decisions are influenced by thier budget.....i recently started having pain in hips ..went to gp ...you need physio she said .....oh no xray iasked ...no ......went to physio first thing they said is u need an x ray !! When i asked why my g.p didnt send me for one they said now that we are requesting it the g.p surgery dont have to pay for it ...!...crafty lot ..lol

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All thier decisions are influenced by thier budget.....i recently started having pain in hips ..went to gp ...you need physio she said .....oh no xray iasked ...no ......went to physio first thing they said is u need an x ray !! When i asked why my g.p didnt send me for one they said now that we are requesting it the g.p surgery dont have to pay for it ...!...crafty lot ..lol
Unfortunately they do not seem to know the difference between cost cutting and put patients lives at risk

Reactions: dbr10 and james11