Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well, no call back for me. So I'll see how many strips I pick up on Wed and what prescription says. I have my foot check on Friday so can drop off letters in person if there is anything missing...

Reactions: dbr10

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So collected prescription today on the way home so surgery closed. 100 strips! So not the amount I had before and no sign of my needles. No idea what is going on.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@renthompson the word you need to quote to them is "Maladministration" It is a big accusation, so don't use it lightly
Another phrase to use is "General Medical Council (GMC) " and the word "complaint". I got an appointment an hour later
Its true we do moan about the NHS, but compare this service with USA where 25% of all people declaring bankruptcy; the medical costs were the main factor. (8% over 65!)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Finally got gp call back after complaining again about lack of needles and low strips. Turns out that my strips were restricted because "you have not had your foot check", so I explained that it was booked for tomorrow after having been moved from earlier this month because they originally did not allocate enough time for it. I also tried to establish who should be responsible for remembering it me or surgery and I got no answer.
Not sure that removing test strips is a suitable way of telling me to get a foot check... you'd have thought asking me to book one might be the way to go.
Anyway needles should be ready tomorrow and hopefully this is cleared up now they know I will complain.

Reactions: renthompson
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Surely they must have an acting practice manager even if its the receptionist!! Who opens the building on a morning?

That would probably be the cleaner................ and she or he, would probably do a better job ! :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, no call back for me. So I'll see how many strips I pick up on Wed and what prescription says. I have my foot check on Friday so can drop off letters in person if there is anything missing...

Make sure you have copies of the letters .......... just in case :rolleyes: Good luck :)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Someone off reception at GPs has just called. They said no one knew why it happened but think it is because my insulin had been took off repeat prescription again. They have not got a record of the prescription I put in on Thursday either. She said she would request them again but it would take another 48 hours, I told her that that wasn't good enough because I would have ran out test strips by then. She told me she is going to ask if someone can do it urgently and get it sent out but can't guarantee it as the surgery is closed today for staff training.

Surgery closed for staff training in what I wonder :rolleyes:

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Finally got gp call back after complaining again about lack of needles and low strips. Turns out that my strips were restricted because "you have not had your foot check", so I explained that it was booked for tomorrow after having been moved from earlier this month because they originally did not allocate enough time for it. I also tried to establish who should be responsible for remembering it me or surgery and I got no answer.
Not sure that removing test strips is a suitable way of telling me to get a foot check... you'd have thought asking me to book one might be the way to go.
Anyway needles should be ready tomorrow and hopefully this is cleared up now they know I will complain.
Yeah don't get that logic, hopefully it will be sorted tomorrow for you. I finally got the rest of my prescription today.

Reactions: Diakat

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK now this is scaring the s*** out of me.

Next time I need more stuff (which is usually roughly monthly though I am slowly building up a reserve of stuff) I will be seeing my GP rather than a clinic. I have never had a GP in London before and I have never met him or her. The nurse who did the initial sign up was totally and completely useless and didn't even really understand the idea of testing and injecting so what on earth should I expect from next week?

[moderated for language.]

Last edited by a moderator:

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't expect anything, instead prepare. Even if that means making a list of things you want to say / ask and taking it with you so you're almost reading from a script. If it's a new GP, you can even be honest about having low expectations after being disappointed by your previous care.

Don't be frightened and try to keep an open mind about what will happen. If you can prepare yourself and have a clear set of things you want to get out of the appointment, it'll go much better.

Please don't be scared!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
OK now this is scaring the **** out of me.

Next time I need more stuff (which is usually roughly monthly though I am slowly building up a reserve of stuff) I will be seeing my GP rather than a clinic. I have never had a GP in London before and I have never met him or her. The nurse who did the initial sign up was totally and completely useless and didn't even really understand the idea of testing and injecting so what on earth should I expect from next week?
Sorry for the fright! Ask them to get you off Lantus???

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Surgery closed for staff training in what I wonder :rolleyes:
Anger Management and computer training

2CFK4dO

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK now this is scaring the s*** out of me.

Don't be scared, like I said at the start this is not all GPs and I hope that now it is sorted. I agree that you should prepare yourself with a list of what you need to ask/say and explain what you need from them. Try not to worry and good luck x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The next step may be to write to PALS - https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patient-advice-and-liaison-services-(PALS)/LocationSearch/363.
Possibly write to the practice manager (don't need a name, just the title) copied to PALS.
If they get something in writing they have to make a formal response.
Further avenues are the CCG and Health Watch.
The main point is they can brush anything face to face or on the phone under the carpet, but a written complaint triggers procedures.
As far as I know this is one thing that will be visible to the CQC when they asses the practice, so a written complaint is taken far more seriously because there is a paper trail.

Not a step to be taken lightly, but if they are doing this to loads of people then a written record can focus the mind because they can't do the "never happened before" routine.

For the OP this looks to be a shambolic merger between two practices. This may explain it, but it doesn't justify or excuse it.

renthompson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The next step may be to write to PALS - https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patient-advice-and-liaison-services-(PALS)/LocationSearch/363.
Possibly write to the practice manager (don't need a name, just the title) copied to PALS.
If they get something in writing they have to make a formal response.
Further avenues are the CCG and Health Watch.
The main point is they can brush anything face to face or on the phone under the carpet, but a written complaint triggers procedures.
As far as I know this is one thing that will be visible to the CQC when they asses the practice, so a written complaint is taken far more seriously because there is a paper trail.

Not a step to be taken lightly, but if they are doing this to loads of people then a written record can focus the mind because they can't do the "never happened before" routine.

For the OP this looks to be a shambolic merger between two practices. This may explain it, but it doesn't justify or excuse it.
Thanks, I think it is sorted now. If not I will be taken the written complaint route as now know who practice manager is.