Apple cider vinegar

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you use this? Was just reading about it and they seem to suggest a tablespoon of it in a glass of water has a dramatic effect on glucose spikes. If you do have you noticed any differences

Reactions: Angela64

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t drink it though I think people have posted on here in the past they have, I use it in dressings and cooking, never really noticed any difference in my numbers, you have to make sure you have the “mother” though not just any old cider vinegar, this means it’s an unfiltered vinegar

Reactions: wozey

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t drink it though I think people have posted on here in the past they have, I use it in dressings and cooking, never really noticed any difference in my numbers, you have to make sure you have the “mother” though not just any old cider vinegar, this means it’s an unfiltered vinegar

I’m going to get some and see if it makes a difference, I’m not sure of the taste so not sure if I’ll like it or not

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This appeared in 2020. I'd be a bit sceptical - only 29 participants. The story also seems to be talking about two trials - one overnight and the other involving bagels.

There's maybe a kind of a common-sense thing here - if you make your stomach contents more acid, the stomach won't empty as quickly and you might slow down the digestion and uptake of starches/glucose. But the carbs are still going in and they will eventually be digested. It might indeed be a way to cheat the meter, but why would I want to do that?

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried it, got terrible results. Actually spiked the glucose for me.
remember, the vinegar will harm your teeth, use a straw and rinse or brush your teeth immediately!

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This appeared in 2020. I'd be a bit sceptical - only 29 participants. The story also seems to be talking about two trials - one overnight and the other involving bagels.

There's maybe a kind of a common-sense thing here - if you make your stomach contents more acid, the stomach won't empty as quickly and you might slow down the digestion and uptake of starches/glucose. But the carbs are still going in and they will eventually be digested. It might indeed be a way to cheat the meter, but why would I want to do that?

I’m going to get one of those sensors and test this one out, I’ve got nothing to lose as I won’t be eating anything different from what I am at the moment

Reactions: Angela64

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tried it, got terrible results. Actually spiked the glucose for me.
remember, the vinegar will harm your teeth, use a straw and rinse or brush your teeth immediately!

How much was you using and how many times a day

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
2tbsp before meals. Now, my diagnosis is being reviewed now and I don’t think I’m type 2 ( normal c peptide, active, no weight issues but do have pancreatic damage from pancreatitis)
maybe it works for a true type 2. Won’t hurt you, give it a go.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's never made a difference to my blood glucose reading, but, it does keep my gallstone in check (and has probably reduced it considerably in size), is apparently good for my gut biome, and makes my salads and coleslaws delicious mixed with low-carb aioli.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I'm on phase 2 of my diet control, I'm adding a very few extras to the pure keto to see what happens. I have gone back to using a little of this vinegar in soups, casseroles and so on, because I like the lift it gives the taste. So far my BG appears unaffected. Others' experiences will probably differ. I wouldn't drink it neat or in water because of the tooth issue.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I'm on phase 2 of my diet control, I'm adding a very few extras to the pure keto to see what happens. I have gone back to using a little of this vinegar in soups, casseroles and so on, because I like the lift it gives the taste. So far my BG appears unaffected. Others' experiences will probably differ. I wouldn't drink it neat or in water because of the tooth issue.
I love finishing soups and casseroles etc with wine vinegars and cider vinegar, total game changer for flavour

pinkjude

I decided to try it but not getting great results so far. 2 tbs seems to be suggested with 1 oz of cheese with it before bed. That is supposed to help with higher BG in a morning. My friend swears that together with low carb has aided his weight loss