Type 1.5 Applying a new Libre sensor

Shari68

I'm on my first Freestyle Libre Sensor, which is due to be replaced tomorrow. On the app is says Sensor ends in 18 hours. Do I need wait until then or can I put a new one on any time tomorrow?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can apply the new sensor and start it whenever you wish, I tend to apply the new sensor a day before (to let it settle in) before activating it anyway.
Though note if you activate the new one before the old one has run out your reader/phone will not then be able to read the old one still as it will only be able to read the new one.

Reactions: Shari68

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to give my libre a day to bed in, so for a few hours I am double barrelled :)

Shari68

You can apply the new sensor and start it whenever you wish, I tend to apply the new sensor a day before (to let it settle in) before activating it anyway.
Though note if you activate the new one before the old one has run out your reader/phone will not then be able to read the old one still as it will only be able to read the new one.
So if I put on a new one tonight it would be bedded in to activate tomorrow morning?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if I put on a new one tonight it would be bedded in to activate tomorrow morning?

Yes, basically. The time it takes to bed in is different for everybody but the general consensus is to attach it between 12 & 24hrs before you activate it. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky you! Mine usually expires around 4am! I generally wake at that time. I take a last reading and start the new one off. If
I lose around a half hour I am not bothered. It takes the new one 60 mintes after start up to start working.