Type 2 Appointment Friday 8.30am

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon I have a doctors appointment tomorrow morning at 8.30,when I last saw the Diabetes nurse on the 6th of April she said to me ,I will see you in 6 months,now as this is my first year with diabetes I have had two Hb1Ac tests one in January and one in April,I personally would like one every 3 months and this is what I am going to ask the doctor,the reason being is that I want to keep on top of my Hb1Ac levels do you think he will agree and if he doesn't can I insist politely of course;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course you can ask, but I think the purpose of the test as far as the doctor is concerned is to see if your medication or diet is working. As you are now "well controlled" and you don't need to change your treatment, then they probably think 6 months or a year is often enough to test.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I suspect they will want 12 months but will possibly agree 6 months?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You can ask politely, but your GP might refuse politely. In a previous thread someone posted NHS gudelines that T2 diabetics should have an HbA1c test every 2-6 months iirc. But the minimum is every 12 months.
Your GP might take the view that you are controlling your condition so don't need to have more frequent testing. It depends on your GP's attitude, your relationship, and the surgery's budget.
My GP will only authorise a HbA1c for me every 12 months.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends how generous your surgery is. The NICE recommended care pathway is 6 or 12 months once levels are good and stable, and medication is said to be working and doesn't need changing or keeping an eye on. After a couple of 6 monthly ones and all is still well, it will move to annual. We would all love 3 monthly appointments!

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good evening @Bluetit1802 @Prem51 @Mr_Pot @Daibell my friends .many thanks for your replies,much appreciated my friends,I shall ask anyway, nothing to lose after all I do look after all the roses at the surgery,and I attend the Patient Participation Group Meeting's,and on first name terms with all the staff,so the answer will probably be NO :D:borg: