Apps to monitor food intake

JTO

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 2 years ago. Initially I tried controlling my HbA1c with a very low carb diet and had some success, dropping my HbA1c from 124 to 51 in 7 months. I then tried further restricting carb intake to 20g carbs per day but after 6 months my HbA1c had risen slightly. Feeling very disheartened I relaxed my carb intake to less than 50g carbs daily and my HbA1c rose to 78. After 6 months on Metformin my HbA1c has dropped to 68. My cholesterol levels have been high since diagnosis so in an attempt to avoid taking statins a dietician has recommended I increase my carb intake (100 to 130g) and limit protein and fat to 100 g per day.
Can anyone recommend an app I can download that could help me monitor my intake of fats, protein and carbs?
Thanks

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to avoid taking statins a dietician has recommended I increase my carb intake (100 to 130g) and limit protein and fat to 100 g per day.

As for statins .... depending on your age and various cholesterol ratios it might not be anywhere near as bad as you think.

Do you have a full lipid panel breakdown?
How long had you water fasted before the test?

(mod edit to comply with forum rules)

Last edited by a moderator:

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 2 years ago. Initially I tried controlling my HbA1c with a very low carb diet and had some success, dropping my HbA1c from 124 to 51 in 7 months. I then tried further restricting carb intake to 20g carbs per day but after 6 months my HbA1c had risen slightly. Feeling very disheartened I relaxed my carb intake to less than 50g carbs daily and my HbA1c rose to 78. After 6 months on Metformin my HbA1c has dropped to 68. My cholesterol levels have been high since diagnosis so in an attempt to avoid taking statins a dietician has recommended I increase my carb intake (100 to 130g) and limit protein and fat to 100 g per day.
Can anyone recommend an app I can download that could help me monitor my intake of fats, protein and carbs?
Thanks
My fitness Pal is great!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used MyFitnessPal on and off for several years. It's not particularly set up to give priority to the level of carbs, but it's a free app and with a bit of persistence I've got my head around how to set the goal levels. I managed to get my HbA1c down to 41, but have drifted back up so am back to thinking more seriously about it all again. I struggle to get enough low-fat protein in the mix (I'm veggie). This is relentless!

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I've used MyFitnessPal on and off for several years. It's not particularly set up to give priority to the level of carbs, but it's a free app and with a bit of persistence I've got my head around how to set the goal levels. I managed to get my HbA1c down to 41, but have drifted back up so am back to thinking more seriously about it all again. I struggle to get enough low-fat protein in the mix (I'm veggie). This is relentless!
What does "not set up to give priority to the level of carbs" mean?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got diagnosed a couple if years ago I used Carb Manager with good results. They've updated it since. I've not used the recent version