Are brief high sugar spikes OK?

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
Those spikes would be normal for me if I ate carbs. But I don't, because I'm diabetic. My body has a problem dealing with sugar, so I don't worry about what's "normal", I just avoid the stuff - including the sugar in milk, bread and porridge. Why take the risk of spikes, no matter how normal they may be, when I can easily avoid them?

Kate
Most people cannot avoid. I love food and it is not pleasant to eat nothing but celery which is all a diabetic should have to me. No, I refuse eggs, veggies, fish. I have nothing left.

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
You are very similar to me, also diagnosed 4 months ago. My fasting levels are starting to improve but it has been very stubborn. I got excellent advice on here to focus on the difference between starting meal and 2 hours later. However I so far havent been able to have breakfast. I tried a slice of cheddar (odd breakfast imo) I tried coffee with cream (dont like cream but thought oh well) and I only have eggs for breakfast occasionally because they often make up a big part of lunch or dinner. None of these things made any difference to my fasting levels. Now I enjoy a cup of tea and one mini oatcake because I feel I ought to have something with my other meds. Dont eat again till lunch.
Another piece of excellent advice here was not to fret over fasting levels because if I do everything else right they will slowly improve and there is now a slight improvement (7s rather than 8s).
Bit longwinded but I just want to encourage you. It takes longer for some but keep going. Btw I also am resisting meds for this condition.
Wow! I love my meds. I cannot lose weight because I cannot find good low carb food. I get so depressed anymore I cry all the time. I hate veggies, eggs, fish. I like corn, peas but nothing else. My bs is good but only do to my wonderful meds. My will power does not exist.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people cannot avoid. I love food and it is not pleasant to eat nothing but celery which is all a diabetic should have to me. No, I refuse eggs, veggies, fish. I have nothing left.

Hello there - I saw another of your posts around here also @Gmt2 !

This sounds a bit like you have a depression...?
Meat, mushrooms, cheese, olives - there must be something to choose from.
Celery is a veggie...

try this one, standard suggestion around here, maybe you find something that suits you...

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I wouldn't rely on my meds to get me through.

I'm Autistic. Occasionally I lapse (Yep, I am looking at you Chinese from last evening!) but I have had to force myself to engage with foods outside of what is already a narrow diet. I had a sweet tooth. Now I don't eat sweets/cakes/pastries. Yes of course you need willpower but if I can do it then so can anyone.
My restricted diet has shrunk further because I have lost the aforementioned sweet things as well as potatoes, pasta etc but it has had to grow in other areas eg full fat yogurt, double cream, celery, kale- none of which I enjoy in the slightest but they are a means to an end.
There is large range of meat and fish out there and you have been helpfully pointed in the direction of dietdoctor so do check that out.
Just don't give up on yourself.

Reactions: Chook and mike@work