Are My Morning Numbers Too High?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
DP causes my fasting numbers to be around the 7s and 8s most of the time and will rise to 9-10 after breakfast, which is usually low or zero carb, and will stay there until after lunch. My consultant says he’s happy as long as they don’t go over 10 during the morning, but I’m thinking this is a bit on the high side, I’m only on a small amount of basal at the moment. Should I ask for some fast-acting insulin too? I have mitochondrial diabetes btw.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is DP and also feet on the floor, which means it rises after you get up. Because of the hormones that cause this, they also cause insulin resistance for a few hours after. It can make it very stubborn to go back down.

I am a type 1 LADA, I do not low carb. I just usually don't eat in the am as it's just too hard to control blood sugars until about 11 am for me. But if I eat anything, even low carb I will spike up and need much more insulin to get it to come down.

I am not familiar with your type of diabetes. But I believe it is a deterioration of the cells that make insulin? So does it stabilize or will you lose all insulin making function? If you stabilize you might be able to skip adding more insulin but if your ability slowly keeps getting worse you will need to add fast acting somewhere along the way and carb count.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
There is DP and also feet on the floor, which means it rises after you get up. Because of the hormones that cause this, they also cause insulin resistance for a few hours after. It can make it very stubborn to go back down.

I am a type 1 LADA, I do not low carb. I just usually don't eat in the am as it's just too hard to control blood sugars until about 11 am for me. But if I eat anything, even low carb I will spike up and need much more insulin to get it to come down.

I am not familiar with your type of diabetes. But I believe it is a deterioration of the cells that make insulin? So does it stabilize or will you lose all insulin making function? If you stabilize you might be able to skip adding more insulin but if your ability slowly keeps getting worse you will need to add fast acting somewhere along the way and carb count.

I will lose all insulin function eventually, for the moment I still have some. I’ve discussed DP with my consultant, but as I say, he’s happy if I’m at 10 all morning, but I’m not sure this is good for me over the long-term. I think maybe it’s time for a couple of units of fast acting in the morning.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
If you are going to lose all insulin production you will need to learn to bolus for food and adjustments for BG levels anyway. You might try to explain to him since you are going to need it eventually you would like to try starting some small adjustments now so you can start to learn?