Are People Here Still Using The Same Lancet More Than Once?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a topic that pops up now and again - there's been several such discussions since I joined the forum .

I've still doing as I've done for the last 4 and a half years, and reuse mine until they get blunt. I may get an occasional unexpected reading but I've never had cause to blame a mucky lancet. I use a Fastclix and am only about half way through the pack of 200 little 6 needle drums that I bought with my original meter.

But it's an individual choice - so do what you feel happiest/safest with, and not necessarily what others might be doing.

Robbity
Same here.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a "when it goes blunt" type of person too. Which is usually when my fingers start to look like they've been forced to hold a tiny but squirming hedgehog.

So really, I ought to change lancets a bit more often than that, now that I think about it...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Once a day for me OR if anyone wants their BG done. Fastclix so no real hassle to change

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the Fastclix since it was first launched, as it's an easy way to change lancet quickly, and it's the most comfortable I've ever used. I had the little drums on repeat prescription, and used to use a fresh lancet for every test. After a few years of doing so, I was encouraged to re-use them by my DSN, presumably because of the taxpayer cost, which is quite a reasonable argument in my view. I also recently read a well-known diabetes book, the author of which advocates re-using lancets until they become blunt. So nowadays I tend to start a fresh needle every three days, when I change my infusion set. I haven't noticed any deterioration in accuracy or comfort.

Reactions: Dodo

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my main reason for making lancets last as long as is comfortable is cost. It may only seem like a small amount of money, but it all adds up. Sometimes buying the test strips has to wait for a week or two, so the longer I can use my lancets, the better. I do not think I am the only one in this situation.

my dn agrees that I am saving money by not having meds, but that still wont get me prescribed strips or lancets.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Newie once a week or so. 38 years on. (51 on insulin but meter only in from 1980.)
Was writing request for finger transplants but could not work out where to move my thumb to.