Are Pumps recommended for Newly diagnosed children

toyahsam

Hi all,

What I know about insulin pumps you could literally write on the back of a stamp.

My 6 year old was diagnosed as type 1 a couple of weeks ago and we are on 4+ injections a day and whilst he is coping really really well I am spending hours trawling the net for other ways to help him. Something I am seeing again and again is that pumps "have changed my life for the better".

The day after he was diagnosed I remember asking one of the diabetes nurses about pumps and she was quite dismissive saying that its not really appropriate and not that great as he would still have to have his cannula changed every 2 days, so knowing nothing I didn't question it further.

But a couple of weeks in and coming to terms with this for my little boy I just want to make it is painless and simple as possible for him. So far the only downside I have come across is more regular blood sugar monitoring, but as strange as it may seem at the moment he actually says he likes doing that (I am sure the "novelty" will ware off soon).

I just wanted any info really, how painful is it to change the cannula's, when might he be eligible? whats the criteria? anyway that might be useful to know.

Many thanks

Nicola

C

catherinecherub

Hi Nicola,
I cannot help you at all with queries about a pump. I did however put a post on the Type 1 diabetes board this morning about , "Obtaining a pump" which may be of some use to you.

Regards,
Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Nicola,
I also forgot to say that I have the greatest of respect for parents of children with Type ! diabetes. I know from the posts that come here that they are a special breed, wanting to do the best they can. Someone will post with some reassurance and help for you soon.

Take care,
Catherine.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Nicola,
I have 2 Type 1 daughters (aged 14 and 7). Both are now on pumps having previously been on 4+ injections a day.

What can I say? We would not go back to injections now, it is much more flexible on the pump and much more discreet - when out and about at restaurants etc, no-one notices you dialling up a bolus on the pump. Also it is one needle every 2-3 days instead of 4+ needles every day, that has to be better, doesn't it, I don't know how the nurse can be so dismissive. Yes, it does hurt sometimes, but no more than an injection, and it happens far less often. There are insertion devices for most pumps now that 'shoot' the needle in, which we have found really good. And usually the needle comes out leaving a soft plastic cannula under the skin.

It seems from what I gather that in the UK that some hospitals are more 'pro-pump' than others. Here in Gloucestershire they are quite 'pro' now, altho' a few years ago it was a different story. It really depends on the consultant. Age has no bearing on it, here they have put toddlers less than 2 year old on the pump and it works very well, and virtually from diagnosis too.

It is a lot of work 'up front' with the pump, getting it set up with the correct ratios etc. You also have to be more vigilant as they have no background insulin and so in the event of a problem with the pump ketoacidosis can happen much more quickly, but even so I still think it's worth it.

If I was you I would raise it with the consultant, don't waste your time with the nurses (all due respect to them, but it's the consultant who makes the decision). It may take a while, just keep pushing. That's what we did. Don't be discouraged if at first they just reject the idea, keep raising it, as pumping is becoming more and more 'mainstream' for children - it's not inappropriate at all!!

As far as criteria go, NICE has guidelines, but I am not that clued up unfortunately. Both our girls got pumps on the grounds that their HbA1C's remained unacceptably high on basal/bolus. Lots of hypos is another reason, though that didn't apply in our case(s). As I said before, I think a lot depends on the attitude of the consultant - some are more 'pro pump' than others.
Hope this helps - good luck with it all.
Best wishes
Sue

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just an update to my previous post. We were in clinic yesterday and there was a tiny person, crawling (ie. not yet walking!), with a pump attached - the child couldn't have been more than a year old, very cute, very happy, with doting parents, and apparently oblivious to the pump. So much for pumps not being appropriate or suitable for very young children!!
Sue