Are starvation ketones something to worry about?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Due to suffering from anxiety and depression I've been unable to eat for the last four weeks or so and have lost over a stone (just below 8stone now and 5ft 6 tall)

When I've checked ketones they've been there in at least trace amounts (haven't got any blood ketone sticks. In fact I don't think anyone has ever mentioned ketones to me in about the last 10 years) even though my blood sugars are pretty stable. Should I be concerned about this? Does it matter as they are not diabetic ketones but the sort anyone would get if losing weight?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there @ExtremelyW0rried Ketones should only be a worry if you are running consistently high BG levels say above 15 mmol/l, as this is the point when you aren't using your glucose properly and are burning fat for energy and producing acid (ketoacidosis) - as you've stated that your BG levels are stable does this mean they are in range ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's ok then - trace ketones are nothing to worry about at all then, I would suggest getting to see your DSN/GP or consultant though about the cause of your anxiety, as you are a parent taking care of yourself and eating well should be a priority for keeping your strength up, hope you're ok.

Reactions: Abby78910