Are T2 and working shifts compatible?

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Folks,

I have been job searching for over 6 months with no luck. My local jc have offered me a 6 month contract to work shifts at Birmingham Airport. The pay is rubbish, but it will pay the bills whilst I look for a perm job. My main concern is that working shifts are involved. I have brilliant BG control on diet only and am concerned that this role may end up pushing me back to meds. I have posted on the T2 forum as I know that T1's will have specific problems that dont affect me.
Any thoughts?...

Steve.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I work a duty 11am. - 2pm or 2pm -5pm. It took my a while to adjust, but I always take a snack with me, just in case. Now fortunatley the have got to know me and are very understanding.
take care.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As you ar diet only, you should be able to adapt.
Hana

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad was working continental shifts when he was diagnosed T2 many years ago - 10 mornings 10 nights 10 afternoon 10 days off and he managed fine - its all in the preperation and organisation :)

Good luck with the job!

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Since you're on diet only, i wouldn't see it being a problem.....
The big IF being can you keep your diet on shift work?

Best thing to do is have snacks prepared all the time while you're not tired, 2/3 in the fridge all the time. So hwn you are shattered you can grab something good for yourself rather than grabbing that pasty / pizza slice etc.

As long as you take some time to make it easy to grab the right stuff, you shouldn't have a problem.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Thx for all the advice and support folks. I am also awaiting an interview with the DWP which is for a day permanent role, so if I get that one, it wont be an issue, but based on recent efforts, I am not counting on anything :( :(

Steve.