Are there any type 1 diabetics here in remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Insulin 'still produced' in most people with type 1 diabetes. They've known this for decades.​

I am not convinced 74 people is significant and it doesn't say how long ago the volunteers were diagnosed (yes there is a single quote about 50 years but in a sample of 74 of which 73% are producing insulin, it can't be many people who were diagnosed that long ago). Many could be in the honeymoon period. I am convinced my honeymoon lasted at least 8 years as my insulin dose gradually increased over this period without gaining weight or having any cravings (not something I had ever heard about until you mentioned it).
Even the paper says "The next step is a much larger-scale study" but, 10 years later, this is the paper available to quote from with no follow up.

I am pleased you have found an approach that works for you but we are all different and I would rather eat fresh fruit and vegetables and take insulin than have a restrictive diet.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Take a look at the Twitter account of Zsofia Clemens on Twitter @ClemensZsofia - interesting stuff.

Personally I do much better with very fatty proteins in terms of blood sugar levels and weight management - ruminant meats over chicken/pork.
I've been following Zsofia Clemens, brain researcher and biologist and Dr. Csaba Tóth, physician and researcher. and the Paleo Ketogenic Diet since the 24th May 2021, It's the only diet that put me in remission. I'm a member of the PKD group.

Attachments

• ketopaleo2.JPG
    ketopaleo2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 90

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
@Billy Barroo
have you had a cpeptide test recently?

There was a very interesting study done in Scotalnd where they tested cpeptide on all their long standing T1s

and found that 13% had significant levels of cpeptide.

Serum C-peptide testing was performed in 859 individuals (90% of the eligible cohort), of whom 114 (13.2%) had C-peptide ≥200 pmol/L. The cause of diabetes was reclassified in 58 individuals (6.8% of the tested cohort). The majority of reclassifications were to type 2 diabetes (44 individuals; 5.1%), with a smaller proportion of monogenic diabetes (14 individuals; 1.6%). Overall, 13 individuals (1.5%) successfully discontinued insulin, while a further 16 individuals (1.9%) had improved glycaemic control following the addition of co-therapies.

So a small but significant (specially if you are one of them) number of T1s do get misdiagnosed...

The other question I have is what happens to your blood sugars when you get ill? Do you have to worry about DKA or do your bgs stay low?

The more I read about diabetes the more I find out that people's metabolisms are different, even when they have the same "Type", but I'd want to be very careful about promising an insulin free existence to more than a very few (possibly misdiagnosed) T1s.
I have not been misdiagnosed. My Diabetic Consultant and Diabetic Team has already confirmed that recently. Nothings changed there, I'm still a type 1 diabetic.

Attachments

• clemens8.JPG
    clemens8.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 87

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
If you ate zero carbs there would be no need for any insulin to convert the carbs into glucose ,that I can understand , but I think what we all would want is as normal as possible lifestyle and eating zero carbs does not seem a normal lifestyle both practically and I can't imagine it doing to much good to our bodies either after all our pancreas is there for a reason .

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
If you ate zero carbs there would be no need for any insulin to convert the carbs into glucose ,that I can understand , but I think what we all would want is as normal as possible lifestyle and eating zero carbs does not seem a normal lifestyle both practically and I can't imagine it doing to much good to our bodies either after all our pancreas is there for a reason .
Both carbs and protein convert into glucose even when you're just eating protein, fat and zero carbs. Look up "gluconeogenesis." It mainly occurs in the liver. I know this through personal experience.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar NOT fat is the culprit. We do not need to consume any exogenous carbs "ZERO." Consuming zero carbs is now normal for me and my lifestyle now is much more easier and less painful. I'm no longer a sugar addict, I have no cravings or have a need for cheat days.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely producing insulin per se and producing adequate insulin to maintain normal life are very different.

(Normal life is very subjective, especially for those of us who consum modified diets.)
My life is more normal now than it's ever been.

Attachments

• rach.JPG
    rach.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: jaywak

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not been misdiagnosed. My Diabetic Consultant and Diabetic Team has already confirmed that recently. Nothings changed there, I'm still a type 1 diabetic.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting you are being disingenuous, but how were you diagnosed and what tests were done at that point. Has any additional testing taken place in the meantime, like C-Peptide or even circulating endogenous insulin?

Reactions: oldgreymare

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not suggesting you are being disingenuous, but how were you diagnosed and what tests were done at that point. Has any additional testing taken place in the meantime, like C-Peptide or even circulating endogenous insulin?
C- Peptide tested November 2020 1177 pmols/mol (still capable of producing insulin one year after diagnosis) and several HbA1C tests since 2020 from 21.9 mmol/mol down to my last recent one 5.3 mmol/mol October 2022.

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
C- Peptide tested November 2020 1177 pmols/mol (still capable of producing insulin one year after diagnosis) and several HbA1C tests since 2020 from 21.9 mmol/mol down to my last recent one 5.3 mmol/mol October 2022.
Did you test positive for any of the antibodies?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Billy Barroo ,

Welcome to the forum. You might find this topic interesting, in answer to your titled question.

Reactions: Billy Barroo

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Both carbs and protein convert into glucose even when you're just eating protein, fat and zero carbs. Look up "gluconeogenesis." It mainly occurs in the liver. I know this through personal experience.
Billy I didn't realise that proteins are converted into glucose so I have learned something new today thank you but I still think most of us would like to live as normal a lifestyle as possible , going to the pub and asking for a glass of water and a packet of pork scratchings would not be my norm but each to their own .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Billy I didn't realise that proteins are converted into glucose so I have learned something new today thank you but I still think most of us would like to live as normal a lifestyle as possible , going to the pub and asking for a glass of water and a packet of pork scratchings would not be my norm but each to their own .
Hi,

I can think of a whole host of upsides, if it was at all possible… ;)

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Even before I was diagnosed as being a Type 1 diabetic I gave up drinking alcohol, going to pubs, restaurants, cafes etc. So this is the norm for me. I cook my own meals when I'm out and about in my motorhome. I have done for years. Diabetes isn't the only ailment I have, I've got many others and this way of eating helps with the pain. It reduces the inflammation.

Attachments

• evidence.JPG
    evidence.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 83

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Billy Barroo ,

Welcome to the forum. You might find this topic interesting, in answer to your titled question.
Yep I heard about Dan Darkes several years ago on here, Diabetes.co.uk and from many other sources. Thanks for mentioning him (y)

Attachments

• dAN DARK.JPG
    dAN DARK.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 80

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I wasn't meaning the A1cs, more any repeat C-peptide tests or Insulin tests?

Private tests are readily available, in various labs, with a number offering home or remote sample gathering.

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Private tests are readily available, in various labs, with a number offering home or remote sample gathering.
I've kept well away from hospitals and doctors surgeries since going full carnivore. I've had enough of them pestering me to take their statins and push their medications on to me that I don't want or need. I've got no intentions at my age to stop this way of eating, so what's the point of them telling me to go in for more tests and to go back and follow the standard diabetes dietary advice way of eating and start injecting again. My body, my choice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've kept well away from hospitals and doctors surgeries since going full carnivore. I've had enough of them pestering me to take their statins and push their medications on to me that I don't want or need. I've got no intentions at my age to stop this way of eating, so what's the point of them telling me to go in for more tests and to go back and follow the standard diabetes dietary advice way of eating and start injecting again. My body, my choice.
Definitely your body, your choice, but now I'm wondering how they determined you are a T1.
Your C-peptide in november 2020 was within the normal range and not on the low side, and you don't mention antibody testing.Can it be they based the diagnosis on being in DKA, which s much more common in T1 but not unheard of in other types?

Billy Barroo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

Their tests are meaningless when someone is on a high saturated animal fat, zero carb diet. Especially their standard flawed cholesterol lipid tests.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Their tests are meaningless when someone is on a high saturated animal fat, zero carb diet. Especially their standard flawed cholesterol lipid tests.
I said zero about lipids, so where is the relevance in this?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.