Status
Not open for further replies.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moderation is always a balancing act (I know, I've done it - not here of course). Too light a touch and you get snake-oil salesmen and trolls running riot; too heavy handed and it just drives everyone crazy. I'd like to see more engagement by the moderators, together with high levels of transparency and consistency so that if action has to be taken we can see and understand the reasons for it.
I too would like to see more engagement by the moderators. I can't make my point adequately without saying this next bit; when Mo was moderating, just seeing him posting on a thread was often enough to keep it sensible. Just being there and being interested was a very positive influence in my opinion. Looking at the list of mods quoted by the OP, I didn't even realise one of them existed.

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im afraid you are looking at this website from the wrong angle, i have done this for a long time mistakenly, this is not a democracy, we dont dictate how we are treated, we are privaledged to be allowed access to their site, please dont feel at home, remember you are a guest in their world, we are too insignificant to even get a response, what makes you think our opinions on how moderators conduct themselves are welcome?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow ! I can't quite believe we have over 80 responses. If nothing else, I think that must surely illustrate how important we all feel this community is. Thanks everyone for taking the time to post.

I must admit I deliberately sort of stepped back a little bit, once I had initiated the thread, so that it wouldn't and couldn't be seen as me grinding some axe or another. I had also decided I would “Like” responses to the thread, but I was overtaken by responses, so anyone who hasn't had a “Like” and feels deprived, let me know and I'll press that button.

But, onto the business of the thread.

I completely agree with so many of the posts acknowledging the unending patience and support of those who post on here; repeating the same messages to the new members who inevitably end up here with an issue, and that issue is often compounded by bewilderment and frustration. So, a response of “It's all here, just hit search” would probably feel off-hand.

Like others on here, I recognise that our moderators give up their time, without financial reward, but I also agree that a more consistent and more visible presence would be appreciated by me. Whilst our current moderators are very much silent in the background (as far as we know), it feels, to me anyway, that when one pops up, that something's about to happen. That might be threads locked or deleted, and of course, sometimes nothing. One the occasion I have felt a moderation action was inappropriate I wrote to the moderator, who responded, albeit not making the response I might, personally, have hoped for. I'm not suggesting the response was wrong or out of hand, but not what I would have felt to be the best outcome.

In terms of actions, I think my requests would be for a low-profile, but increased visible pressence by our moderator population. I'm not suggesting they come wielding cyber clubs, but just the odd word could deflect an errant poster or thread back on-track. Similarly, if a thread is locked, it would be fair to pre-warn of that position so that there is an opportunity to either bring the thread back into line, or cease the disruptive activity. One one recent example, the OP seemed bewildered by his thread disappearing, and started another to question that, and how it had transpired. Not too many newbies have the confidence and mental strength to do that when they arrive here.

I do also believe, like others, that even an acknowledgement of and reports would be helpful. I'm not a behind the scenes complainer by nature. I am more likely to try to challenge or sort out issues I experience, but on the very few times I have hit the Report button, it almost feels like I might as well write the message on Word, hit the red X and not save. Shame?

I have tagged the moderators again, to ensure the thread is highlighted and to invite any response they either individually or collectively might like to make.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. It's good to clear the air, and I hope this thread has given that opportunity. Please keep posting.

Mods: @Osidge, @Robinredbreast, @anna29, @daisy1, @IanD, @janewatt

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This thread is being brought to the attention of Admin.

RRB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im afraid you are looking at this website from the wrong angle, i have done this for a long time mistakenly, this is not a democracy, we dont dictate how we are treated, we are privaledged to be allowed access to their site, please dont feel at home, remember you are a guest in their world, we are too insignificant to even get a response, what makes you think our opinions on how moderators conduct themselves are welcome?

Well I am not looking to dictate to anyone. What I said was just an observation that when moderators are simply 'there' and seen to be around, the forum tends to run more smoothly. It's good when they join in on threads, just being there can stop the petty arguments and make life easier for all of us, themselves included. Like other posters on this thread, I have noticed that people who have responded here are the regular contributors who do their best to be part of a thriving online community. It's interesting to see the faces who are missing. It does speak volumes. Please admin don't disregard what we are saying: we are saying it because we care.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I kn
Well I am not looking to dictate to anyone. What I said was just an observation that when moderators are simply 'there' and seen to be around, the forum tends to run more smoothly. It's good when they join in on threads, just being there can stop the petty arguments and make life easier for all of us, themselves included. Like other posters on this thread, I have noticed that people who have responded here are the regular contributors who do their best to be part of a thriving online community. It's interesting to see the faces who are missing. It does speak volumes. Please admin don't disregard what we are saying: we are saying it because we care.

I know the majority of members on here care about the forum and that does show in volumes :),and I have read through the posts.
I have done what I said I would do..
Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 7 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
if a thread is locked, it would be fair to pre-warn of that position so that there is an opportunity to either bring the thread back into line, or cease the disruptive activity. One one recent example, the OP seemed bewildered by his thread disappearing, and started another to question that, and how it had transpired.

Here's a couple of approaches I have used in the past on another forum:

"This thread has been locked because of ... (e.g gone way off topic, endless repetition, inflammatory posts despite warnings) and some inappropriate posts have been removed. The OP has been informed by PM of the reasons. If the OP or others can justify by report or PM that the thread should be reopened, then that may be considered by the admin team. Thank you." Much better than just locking a thread and leaving people confused as to why.

(After deleting a thread) "The thread carrying the same title has been deleted. This was done for the following reasons ...... Thank you." Sometimes that new admin thread can be left open for comment, but more usually it is left locked. But at least everyone then knows why. Transparency will enable members to appreciate if the action was taken because of flagrant abuse of forum rules (understandable) or, Heaven forbid, 'censorship' (which would, if it were to happen, then require some statement on forum policy to justify it).

It seems a shame that such matters have to be talked about on a forum dedicated to support for those with diabetes, but in my experience any forum that gets to this size has to have such provisions.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe, My first thought was your unwarranted comment.
" I'm also just tagging the Mods, so that we can be reasonably confident that points raised will be read by them."
To me that is the type of dig that is not necessary and leads to friction within the forum.
However this thread has been good and proved many interesting points.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
tagging sounds fair to me...threads are often tagged with a mods name so they will see it, unless you wish to put forward that every thread is read by a mod and it's unneeded?

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe, My first thought was your unwarranted comment.
" I'm also just tagging the Mods, so that we can be reasonably confident that points raised will be read by them."
To me that is the type of dig that is not necessary and leads to friction within the forum.
However this thread has been good and proved many interesting points.

That's interesting and I see what you are saying. Now my first thought when I saw that sentence was that it was a good idea because it has been stated more than once by the mods that it's up to us to report things to make sure they see them. So I saw the comment as being helpful not as a dig. Just a different point of view:)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

im sorry if it came across i was suggesting that anyone was dictating, exactly opposite to that, i think every suggestion has been a good one, i was speaking in tongues

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
So, does anyone in admin have statistics regarding recent forum use? Or is it just a perception that there are fewer posts, or that the nature of the posts is changing?
I have access to such statistics, yes. I've found in my years of actively contributing to, and administrating various forums, that once you become familiar with a forum they tend to feel far less active than they used to. Whilst I'm not in a position to disclose the figures, they do indicate that we are still running at a decent capacity.

I've been on this board for the collective five minutes, so here's my take on it.

I love this joint !!! I've NEVER felt so welcomed and I'm a member of quite a few sites. Anywhere you go, there'll always be some level of friction and it stands to reason that this board (by it's very name) will be populated by those with firm and less than firm opinions about how they deal with this health issue.

I wouldn't be in the slightest offended by any adverse comments. That happens. Where I really believe we all have some level of responsibility is to advise and help .... particularly with those newly diagnosed.who'd be absolutely and utterly lost unless they received some guidance from those more experienced in the subject.

Take a bow people ... your contributions are a MASSIIVE community service and if that's compromised to a small degree by distractions we'd all be better off leaving alone, then that's a huge bonus.

Take care out there :)

Mike
It's great to hear such positivity, and you're absolutely right.

I didn't get an answer from @Giverny but to be fair, only asked the once.

Maybe we should be more persistent (also known as pestiferous)?

;)
I must have totally missed your PM - my inbox is constantly inundated and sometimes things do slip through the net. Please drop me another one and I'll be sure to keep a close eye out for it. Very sorry!

And I'm reluctant to use the report button too often.

It feels like telling tales. And I've never received any feedback to know if there was any kind of outcome.
Please do use the report button as often as you feel necessary! It's the report button that keeps the forum running how one would expect it to.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tagging sounds fair to me...threads are often tagged with a mods name so they will see it, unless you wish to put forward that every thread is read by a mod and it's unneeded?
Totally fair, so no need or reason to tell us you have tagged all the mods when your thread reveals that they have been tagged,

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a couple of approaches I have used in the past on another forum:

"This thread has been locked because of ... (e.g gone way off topic, endless repetition, inflammatory posts despite warnings) and some inappropriate posts have been removed. The OP has been informed by PM of the reasons. If the OP or others can justify by report or PM that the thread should be reopened, then that may be considered by the admin team. Thank you." Much better than just locking a thread and leaving people confused as to why.

(After deleting a thread) "The thread carrying the same title has been deleted. This was done for the following reasons ...... Thank you." Sometimes that new admin thread can be left open for comment, but more usually it is left locked. But at least everyone then knows why. Transparency will enable members to appreciate if the action was taken because of flagrant abuse of forum rules (understandable) or, Heaven forbid, 'censorship' (which would, if it were to happen, then require some statement on forum policy to justify it).

It seems a shame that such matters have to be talked about on a forum dedicated to support for those with diabetes, but in my experience any forum that gets to this size has to have such provisions.
That sound like good approaches.

I would also like to suggest a way to know when moderator is moderating or just being an active forum member through the use of a moderating text colour. I have been unsure, you see. I think moderators should be able to post just as everyone else but if he/she suddenly turns from being a fellow forum member to someone who has the power to not only give me a rap over the knuckles but to actually shut me out from the forum midway through a discussion I get a bit confused and would like to see when moderating mode sets in.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im sorry if it came across i was suggesting that anyone was dictating, exactly opposite to that, i think every suggestion has been a good one, i was speaking in tongues

It's going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you, but I'm going to fine you 500 likes, I hope you have learned from this

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

I personally would like to thank almost everyone who has posted on this thread. I've had nothing but kind and extremely helpful advice. I was welcomed back to the forum after a period of not caring for myself as I should have. I had no judgment just praise that I was back and determined to keep on track this time...I had noticed the forum had gone a bit quiet in the evenings too. Id like to take this opportunity to thank you all for you patience and comforting advice

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good thread. Nothing to add really. I am just relieved that I was diagnosed at the turn of the year and am not landing here for the first time today. I met Andy, Cara etc and they steered me in the right direction :) There didn't seem to be so many bun fights in those days. I sincerely hope that the forum gets back to helping members (newbies especially) and gets it vibrancy back soon as I feel it has lost the plot a little recently.

A

AnnieC

I have noticed it is a lot quieter on here these days .There has been quite a lot of disagreements of late on some things people have said and the thread has descended into an argument and that does put people off especially newbies who may be afraid to post for fear of causing some bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.